Codes
WiiRd forum
November 22, 2019, 09:07:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome on the new server

Update 4.3 - do NOT update!
Gecko 1.9.3.1
Should I get a USB Gecko, I wanna hack?
How do I use my USB Gecko
Where can I get WiiRd?

Home   CODE DATABASE GAMEHACKING Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Will wiird be developing homebrew and homebrew applications for Wii-U?  (Read 7081 times)
ellijah!

« on: May 02, 2012, 02:26:01 AM »

I am curious if anyone is planning on developing homebrew and homebrew applications for the Wii-U or will we stick with the Wii?
toonlink444
Hacker

Get Real Kid!!

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 04:11:37 PM »

Well from what I heard a while back is that we were able to get into the wii initially by going through the gamecube slot. But since the wii u has no external slot besides the SD card (if that exists). Because of that port which reads from the memory card the creator of USB Gecko (nuke I think) was able to emulate a mem card to read the ram. That's how I believe the USB Gecko was made, not positive some correct me if this is wrong. As for homebrew, well the homebrew community for wii is dieing down. But I'm sure that people will try with the wii u. Although it will be more like the insides of an xbox 360 and because of that harder to break into. The wii is very low functioning so it was a little easier to break into then the xbox 360.(they have their own version of homebrew but not as popular due to microsoft really cracking down on that stuff) So in a nutshell there most likely be attempts but it may not be as popular. And one more thing code types will have to be remade I think.

In the begining there was nothing. Then it exploded
New blog!! Check it out for hacking Smash Bros Brawl!! https://letshackblank.blogspot.com/
goemon_guy
Hacker

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 06:10:49 PM »

Wii-U's not even here yet!
The 3DS isn't hacked yet either.

If Nintendo's found a good encryption and anti-Homebrew system, then they'll likely stick to what they've done with the 3DS, and make it better.

That's not to say it won't be hacked at all, however, we don't have enough information about the Wii-U to even worry about Homebrew quite yet.

-Currently hacking the following game(s):
Request a code via PM, if you wish.
ellijah!

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 08:07:15 PM »

Well I knew it wouldn't have a memory card slot for the usb gecko like wii and gamecube but I was just curious if Wiird would try to make homebrew for Wii-U. Wasn't Gamecube and Wii homebrew developed by people here? I have a usb gecko and make codes and I don't really want to stop coding Wii when the Wii-U comes out and they stop making Wii games.
Deathwolf
Hacker
Legendary Member

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 08:36:46 PM »

The Homebrew Channel was developed by Team Twiizers.

lolz
CrimsoN@DC
Disturbed
Hacker

Just helping

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 01:25:27 AM »

The reason the gecko goes into the gc memory card slot, is because it has direct ram access.  Without this, there will be complications for sure, however why is everyone focused on hardware/remote debuggers?  There are such things as like in-game debuggers.  The psp, for instace, uses that form of debugging, you press activation keys to open the gui and search away.

As far as codetypes go, that depends on how access-able the wii-u's ram will be.  There are going to be "codetypes" no matter what, although the complexity is not to be insured.  I guess all in all, it depends on two things:
1. How accessable the RAM is
&
2. Who creates the code handler, and how much work is put into it.

I am fiathful that if there is no debugger, there is going to be atleast some modification tools of some sort.

Gotta question?  PM me and hopefully I can help ^^

My website:
Disturbed Core
biolizard89
Hacker

passport.10.biolizard89@spamgourmet.com biolizard89 biolizard89
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 03:17:01 AM »

The reason the gecko goes into the gc memory card slot, is because it has direct ram access.  Without this, there will be complications for sure, however why is everyone focused on hardware/remote debuggers?  There are such things as like in-game debuggers.  The psp, for instace, uses that form of debugging, you press activation keys to open the gui and search away.

As far as codetypes go, that depends on how access-able the wii-u's ram will be.  There are going to be "codetypes" no matter what, although the complexity is not to be insured.  I guess all in all, it depends on two things:
1. How accessable the RAM is
&
2. Who creates the code handler, and how much work is put into it.

I am fiathful that if there is no debugger, there is going to be atleast some modification tools of some sort.
Are you saying that any hardware plugged into the GCN memcard slot has direct RAM access?  If so, that is not correct.  The GCN memcard slot is a convenient set of I/O lines which GeckoOS uses as a serial port; that's it.  It's convenient because the amount of code necessary to access it is minimal, not because it has additional privileges.  Other devices such as the GameCube BBA and the GameCube controller ports have been used for this purpose too.

(If I misread your post, sorry... but I think your post is misleading for newbies at best.)
Bully@Wiiplaza
Hacker
Legendary Member

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 07:03:39 PM »

How come that the GCN memory card slots are active and usable for the USB Gecko while playing Wii games or basically anywhere that can be booted with hooks? They never read from or store to memory cards... hope the gecko codehandler will be ported straight, I got to love it. Evil
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 07:05:47 PM by Bully@Wiiplaza » Logged

My Wii hacking site...
https://bullywiihacks.com/

My youtube account with a lot of hacking videos...
https://www.youtube.com/user/BullyWiiPlaza

~Bully
megazig
Hacker

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 07:51:05 PM »

it's because it's very easy to access EXI with very short bits of code.

https://wiibrew.org

everyone really should read everything from there if they consider themselves hackers to know more about why things work. odds of usbgecko working with WiiU are just over 0.1%
dcx2
Computer Engineer
Legendary Member

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 01:18:24 AM »

To be absolutely clear, the EXI bus (which is actually more of a glorified SPI Bus) is convenient because the PowerPC has direct access to it.  It has no security, no interface, no API, no error checking...it is designed for simplicity and it does not require Starlet (the ARM security co-processor).

An EXI Bus transaction looks like this.

1) If writing, write the byte you want to send to some address (I can't be bothered to look at YAGCD)
2) Write a carefully tailored number to some other address, which tells the Wii which channel to use (i.e. controlling the slave select lines on the SPI bus), bus frequency, in or out, etc. (again, YAGCD)
3) If reading, read the byte from that first address.

That's all there is to it.  It's nothing like e.g. Wifi which requires you to negotiate with a DHCP server for an IP address.

The USB Gecko has a CPLD chip which interfaces the EXI bus to an FTDI chip which provides an RS232 connection over USB.  PowerPC -> EXI bus -> CPLD -> RS232 -> FTDI -> USB -> PC.  This is why the data looks like a serial port to a PC, but on the Wii side it's just writing a couple bytes to a couple addresses.

CrimsoN@DC
Disturbed
Hacker

Just helping

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 09:47:02 PM »

Bump.

What are peoples views on the future of homebrew for the wii-u now that it has been released?  Apparently, according to this thread:
https://prntscr.com/kcqfc
It has already been made.  I don't know if I believe it.  Here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyCoGIoaCgk

Gotta question?  PM me and hopefully I can help ^^

My website:
Disturbed Core
Bully@Wiiplaza
Hacker
Legendary Member

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 11:30:28 AM »

Not convincing. I want nuke to actually say something about this!

My Wii hacking site...
https://bullywiihacks.com/

My youtube account with a lot of hacking videos...
https://www.youtube.com/user/BullyWiiPlaza

~Bully
Deathwolf
Hacker
Legendary Member

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 04:42:54 PM »

3 Seconds?  huh

lolz
megazig
Hacker

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 05:41:35 PM »

let's go with fake for many reasons
memorris
Hacker

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 01:36:15 AM »

Let's hope its true.  Come on ian let us all now if its true or not pmsl.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: