Want to learn how to hack Pokemon gen 3 games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to learn how to hack Pokemon gen 3 games

Hello! I recently dug up my Gameshark and I'm having a lot of difficulty with it. For one thing, the previous owner seems to have gone through and deleted many of the preloaded codes for all games seemingly at random (and in particular attacked many of the Pokemon games---the entries for FireRed, LeafGreen, Ruby, and Sapphire are all missing entirely). I'm also not sure that the leftover codes for my Pokemon Emerald game are even working. Here is one of the few codes that was a leftover:

(M) Must Be On

9266FA6C97BD

905B5ED35F81

B76A68E5FAB1

This is the master code and it doesn't seem to do anything when I run it alone, which is good, right? No error messages or anything, nothing weird in my game when it starts up by itself---and because it's not doing anything weird, I believe that code is at least correct and working. However when I tried to use some additional codes (the leftover preloaded ones and some others from websites like Neoseeker and Gamefaqs) to buy Master Balls and encounter different Pokemon (mostly legendaries from other regions like Moltres, Raikou, etc) I got warnings that the codes were corrupt. I was very cautious with how I was testing and only used one cheat at a time with the master code, but nothing I tried came back with anything other than errors. This was all late last night so I gave up, but I returned to the project this afternoon and tried some different codes (this time I looked up specifically Gameshark SP codes, which seem to be different from regular gameshark codes?), this time with no errors---but my game isn't being affected either. No legendary Pokemon are appearing, no new items are available in stores, nothing new is appearing in my bag.
    I'd like to learn more about hacking my game so I can understand just what's going wrong here, fix whatever the problem is, and also learn to create my own codes in the future. But I'm not sure where to start. I can't even find a manual for the Gameshark since their website is down. Everything I looked at is all about emulators now, so that leads into my next question:

If I were to experiment with codes on an emulator like VBA, and the codes worked there, could I then input those codes into my physical Gameshark? I feel like I'm wording that question weirdly, so apologies if that's confusing. I'm only asking because I keep seeing posts on other sites referencing multiple different versions of the Gameshark and I imagine whatever VBA uses is probably more up-to-date than my 10+ year old chunky plastic shark. And while I'm thinking of it, is there a newer cheat device for the GBA (the physical, handheld one, not an emulator)? My chunky plastic shark is also a cracking plastic shark and I'm getting concerned about it. Alternatively, is there some way I can repair or replace the plastic on my Gameshark? I know people refurbish Gameboys all the time, but I've never heard of anyone doing the same for a Gameshark.

Finally, I've got over 400 hours on Emerald (it's my all time favorite game) and the internal battery has long ago run dry. Would that affect the Gameshark or its codes in anyway? Sorry if this (or any of the above) are silly questions, but I'd really like to learn about all of this.

I don't want to mess with Emerald too much because it's my favorite game and I don't want to break it...but I do want to finally complete the PokeDex and get some berries that I can't grow anymore, and I'd like to be able to get Gold Pokeblocks as well since that's not working anymore either. Once I get the hang of what I'm doing, I would like to go absolutely hogwild and heavily modify a ROM.

Sorry if my questions are all over the place. I haven't been able to complete Emerald and FireRed in years since I can't trade with anyone nor can I afford to get myself an additional gameboy and the other games I need to trade with myself, so when I found my Gameshark last night I got really excited and basically never calmed down.

Nice one...

Comment

https://www.pokemoncoders.com/pokemon-emerald-cheats/

https://www.supercheats.com/gameboya...meshark-codes/

https://www.ign.com/faqs/2006/pokemo...es-list-709041

https://gaminggorilla.com/pokemon-emerald-cheats/

I can't help you with the emulator question.
      The Hackmaster

Comment

speaking of the VBA emulator, the OP can try out the latest stable version of VBA-M from this github page.
        available in both Mac and Windows versions

most GS codes that work in VBA/VBA-M should work on a real Gameshark

Comment

On the 25th of December, you celebrate the Christmas day and share Christmas wishes to your favourite peoples. So, enjoy and eat delicious food. Also, visit and check how we celebrate Christmas day.

Comment

Working...
          X