Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you make wii gecko codes using pointers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you make wii gecko codes using pointers?

Hey, I've been trying recently to make codes for MKWii using Dolphin and it's cheat search tool. I started out by trying to make a code to modify the lap count (I know its been done, i wanted to redo it for the sake of learning how these codes work). I was able to track down the appropriate addresses and made a simple RAM write code. As I have made Action Replay DS codes in the past, I knew that the code would only work for the course I made it in and would need to find a value for a different course. Once I'd done that, I had 2 RAM write codes for 2 specific courses in time trial mode. Now if this were MKDS, I would use the Pointer search program to generate the final code that would work anywhere. I can't seem to find a useful equivalent of this program for gecko codes though. I decided to look at some existing codes and the gecko code type documentation. It seems to be much more complicated than the ARDS codetypes, with a lot of codes using ASM inserts.

What I really want to know is, how can I find a pointer and how do I need to use it in my final gecko code? Also do I need to have a great understanding of how ASM code works to make a gecko code like this?

Thanks

i use PointerSearch v4.0 by Dr.Pepper to make pointer for gecko format
    lee4 Does Not Accept Codes Requests !
    When lee4 asks a question it does not mean lee4 will look at your game
    *How to create and use SegaCD codes >click here<*
    >)

Comment

I made 2 RAM dumps (using the Dump MRAM button in debug Dolphin). put 1 in data1 and the other in data2. Renamed them both to dump_80.bin, put in the addresses for the lap count value, run the tool and got this: https://prnt.sc/ighmbk
      Where am I going wrong?

EDIT: I changed the start of the addresses to be 0x80 and I got a match:
      'USE: [(0x909bd730+110)] in your pointer code.'

EDIT 2: From looking through the thread you linked I managed to get this code:
      48000000 909BD730
      DE000000 90009380
      12000111 00000303
      E0000000 80008000

but it doesn't do anything in-game. Am I missing something?

EDIT 3: I changed the first 9 on line 1 to an 8 and 90009380 to 80008180 and the code works! (in time trials at least)
      Thanks for the help!
      Last edited by ComputerBot2016; 02-18-2018, 02:19:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X