Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to figure out Health hex value in Legend of Oasis on Sega Saturn

Hello, Everyone...

I am trying right now to find the Hex value of Leon's health (and other values, of course) to make the gameplay a bit easier.
    I am using my Saturn game disc in the most recent SSF Emulator and I'm using Artmoney SE as my Hex-editor. I cannot seem to find the correct value co-responding to the character's health. Here's what I've figured out so far:
    I have used hex editors many times before in order to modify or freeze certain values in games to allow for things like infinite ammo and health so I have some experience at least.
    My character's health is shown as a simple bar but when the game is paused his health is shown as 100/100.
    Usually when you have a visible value denoting any one aspect of a game you can use that number as a search value.
    So by finding an enemy in Legend of Oasis and by allowing it to attack my character i can end up losing health. when I am attacked my health goes down by 6 points reducing the 100/100 to 94/100.
    Normally this would be as simple as filtering your number value results until the hex editor finds the value co-responding to your health meaning
    1. search for 100
    2. filter from 100 to 94
    3. (get hit again) filter from 94 to 89
    and so on until you find the value and can freeze or modify it.

However, using this method I have not been able to find the right value. I usually end up with randomly changing volatile hex values that are of no use or my editor just ends up with no results from my search criteria.
    I know usually health values in older games are almost always 1 or 2 byte hex addresses (1 = 0-255, 2 = 0-65535) but even with utilizing higher hex addresses I have not come up with any successful results.
    I ask this on this forum because hex editing is almost exactly like what gamesharks do except it's done by the user on-the-fly.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks very much!!

There has been a game or two where I've seen the numerical value be hex instead of decimal. For example, the game could possibly be storing the value of 100 as 256 instead. If that don't work, what I would do is start off with an 'unknown initial value' scan, then do multiple 'decreased value' scans. Not sure how it's worded with Artmoney though, since I've never used it. I always use Cheat Engine.
    http://OldGameHacking.com/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DreamcastVideos

Comment

Hi, Mezmorize...
      Thanks for the reply! I'll try the values you listed as Hex in Artmoney and I'll also download Cheat Engine as well just so I can use a more mainstream program that more people have a better grasp of.
      One last thing, though: I was thinking about hex values and from what I've seen 100 in decimal is 64 in Hex?
      I'll try your 256 value though and post back the results. Thanks!

Edit: Oh, you meant that the game's value that is display IS 100 in Hex. Meaning 256 is the decimal value?
      Last edited by skwatter; 02-15-2014, 04:16:02 PM.

Comment

Yea 100 decimal is 64 in hex. What I was saying is a couple games I've came across over the years have stored the 100 as hex instead of decimal, if that makes any since. 100 hex is 256 decimal. I kinda doubt that'll be the case though, I would go with the unknown value scan type.

For example:
        Sonic 1 for the Game Gear stores ring values in this way.
        Last edited by Mezmorize; 02-15-2014, 04:26:50 PM.
        http://OldGameHacking.com/
        http://www.youtube.com/user/DreamcastVideos

Comment

just take look at health code here and enter address into Artmoney to see the current value
          http://gamehacking.org/?game=84289
          lee4 Does Not Accept Codes Requests !
          When lee4 asks a question it does not mean lee4 will look at your game
          *How to create and use SegaCD codes >click here<*
          >)

Comment

Originally posted by Mezmorize View Post
            Yea 100 decimal is 64 in hex. What I was saying is a couple games I've came across over the years have stored the 100 as hex instead of decimal, if that makes any since. 100 hex is 256 decimal. I kinda doubt that'll be the case though, I would go with the unknown value scan type.
            um ive bity interstin about it, but not understant till now still:P, games almost hold limited value to 256, becoused somewhat com mem will always stuck with binary numberic package lol, inlcudin all tha keyboards would represend(low/upper case, numberic, special symbolic) all just need 256 space for each bits, well since we are closely talkin about games, so newbie would said it will be just /eight\ space needed(somehwut called byte), so tha ways you said dec value hold 256 is half true:3, im wonder if anydood would breakin tha rules someday we need more than 256 for stockin mi overlamers idea:P, anyho dunt get to serously with mi quote, im just said anythin pop on mi mind
            dood
            dood! im a uniter, not a divider dood

Comment

Hello, thanks for the reply.
              Yes, I saw this archive of gameshark/PAR codes for this game prior to the posting of this thread but I hadn't tried to do what you say.
              Can you tell me how to add an address into Artmoney?
              I have tried it with CHEAT ENGINE and all I get are memory addresses with "??" for their values; they seem to be of no use.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by skwatter View Post
                Hello, thanks for the reply.
                Yes, I saw this archive of gameshark/PAR codes for this game prior to the posting of this thread but I hadn't tried to do what you say.
                Can you tell me how to add an address into Artmoney?
                I have tried it with CHEAT ENGINE and all I get are memory addresses with "??" for their values; they seem to be of no use.

Thanks!
                maybe it becoused ce basicly is specificaly for modify ram typo:3(so im sure nwebie like me would said it was com mail address:P), im not realy good with ce nor artmoney, but im sure artmoney can read ar/par typo, so used artmoney instead ce
                dood
                dood! im a uniter, not a divider dood

Comment

Sorry for double posting.
                  Last edited by skwatter; 02-18-2014, 12:13:32 AM.

Comment

Alright so I finally figured out the Address denoting the Health value in the game.
                    I utilized the Unknown search value portion of Artmoney as per recommendations in this thread. Thanks!!
                    One thing if anyone can help me though. I used the emulator function in Artmoney and I came up with 5244480 as the value denoting 100 health points in the game.
                    My question is: Why is the number so high? Is this a Hex or a decimal number? is there any rhyme or reason to this to help me find the values for magic and others later on?

Thanks!!

Comment

The game uses 16bit value for health and you probably had it to show 32bit which covers 2 addresses so it's adding 2 different value into one if that makes any sense.
                      Spoiler Alert! Click to view...

THE BAD GUY!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X