GameHacking.org Weekly Hacking Target (07-31-11) - Ironsword: W&W II [NES]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GameHacking.org Weekly Hacking Target (07-31-11) - Ironsword: W&W II [NES]

This week's hacking target will be Ironsword: Wizards & Warriors II (U), for NES.

The rules are simple: hack whatever you like, as long as it hasn't been hacked, and post in this thread with any codes/progress/questions/requests (yes, requests are welcome). To verify what's already been hacked, take a look at these pages:

http://gamehacking.org/?s=v2&sys=21&gid=2352
    http://gamehacking.org/?s=v2&sys=5&gid=794
    http://gamehacking.org/?s=v2&sys=5&gid=4202
    http://gamehacking.org/?s=bsfree2&sys=2&gid=6587
    http://gamehacking.org/?s=bsfree2&sys=2&gid=5432
    http://gamehacking.org/?s=bsfree2&sys=2&gid=1244

If you don't have the game, or don't want to hack it, wait until next week, and if you like, suggest the next game in the main "GameHacking.org Weekly Hacking Target" thread and/or vote for the next game at the top of this thread.

Happy hacking!
    Tetris (NES)
    25.00%
    Tetris (GB)
    0.00%
    Wizards & Warriors (NES)
    0.00%
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3 : The Manhattan Project (NES)
    25.00%
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 : The Arcade Game (NES)
    0.00%
    Lennus 2 (SNES)
    0.00%
    Metal Warriors (SNES)
    25.00%
    Metroid (NES)
    25.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by BeyondTheStatic; 08-02-2011, 05:46:26 PM.

Damn, I worked out the super jump but it's already in there. Saying that mine is only one code so I guess thats a bonus also this is for the European version of the game

Code:
    Super Jump 

YEEITPGA
    (Sets A9 04 to A9 07) Basicly there is a count down timer set to 4 and when it reaches 0 you start falling from your jump. I've set it to 7 instead which seems a good balance, from around 9 onwards the graphics start glitching. FF is pretty funny though

I'm pretty certain there is a flying mode in there that wouldn't be too hard to find because sticking the RAM address of the counter to 1 means you keep rising when you jump.

Anyway I think I'll go compare my codes to theirs to see what the different approaches were. I can't see me doing much on this game cause after playing it for a little bit I wasn't very impressed. I quickly figured out infinite health using the chear search cause there is just shit flying at you from every where!
    Last edited by RyanfaeScotland; 08-04-2011, 06:38:58 AM.

Comment

The constant enemy attacks do make it difficult to concentrate on making certain codes...

SUKGSVSO
      Many enemies are gone. Some enemies that are left have limited movement.
      Last edited by Tony H; 08-02-2011, 11:53:33 PM.
      The Code Hut: http://codehut.gshi.org/

Comment

Originally posted by RyanfaeScotland View Post
        Code:
        Super Jump

YEEITPGA
        Are you sure that code does anything? I tried it several times, but there seems to be no change whatsoever Maybe you have another version of the game? I'm using the US version...

Not much luck over here... found these codes, though:

Code:
        No Interaction with Enemies
        APSOAAEP
        [B]NOTE: You can neither hurt nor get hurt by enemies, but you can still collect items and open chests.[/B]

Fall Thru Steep Slopes (background)
        AYNPZZEL
        [B]NOTE: Works only on the slopes you can jump UP through. Makes some areas less annoying.[/B]

Skywalker
        AUXKSYEL
        [B]NOTE: You can jump in midair and fall slowly. Makes the game think you are just landing on a surface.[/B]

Items and Doors "Sparkle"
        AUKGSYEI
        I really wanted to keep the character from sliding on the slopes, but perhaps simply removing the collision-detection for them is good enough. And that sparkle code... it was found by accident. When I discovered it, I was hoping it would show you hidden doors, but it doesn't
        Last edited by BeyondTheStatic; 07-31-2011, 05:52:42 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Hedstrom View Post
          The constant enemy attacks do make it difficult to concentrate on making certain codes...
          Yeah, I know what you mean. Trying to find the exact moment of an enemy's death in the code/data trace logger is especially difficult. The only saving grace when playing without cheats is that your sword is always active

SUKGSVSO
          Many enemies are gone. Most enemies that are left have limited movement.
          Good one! I tried it out, and it seems to limit enemies' vertical movement specifically. I wonder if that has something to do with the their absence?

Comment

Originally posted by BeyondTheStatic View Post
            Good one! I tried it out, and it seems to limit enemies' vertical movement specifically. I wonder if that has something to do with the their absence?
            I'm pretty sure it does. I also made another code that stops horizontal movement (CF63?9D:BD), but only seems to work on enemies inside caves, so I didn't include it.

I like your 'Skywalker' code. Good find.

Comment

Thanks, Tony.

I was looking for a code that would cause enemies to always drop an item, but was unsuccessful. But while I was in the vicinity, I looked for and found this:

Code:
              Enemy Drop Item Modifier (extended)
              D9CD=A9 CMP B9 +
              D9CE=?? CMP 1F +
              D9CF=EA CMP DA
              	=01: key
              	=02: chicken
              	=03: big chicken
              	=04: coin
              	=05: level hint
              	=06: 1UP
              	=07: book (1000 pts)
              	=0C: item from level hint (1st level: egg)
              	=0D: treasure chest (unknown contents)
              	=0E: treasure chest (open)
              	=2D: large gem
              	=2E: small gem
              	=2F: brewski
              	=30: green scroll (500 pts)
              	=31: door (can't enter)
              	=32: The Golden Egg
              	=33: The Golden Fly
              	=34: The Golden Crown
              	=35: The Golden Tankard
              	=45: magic pellet
              	=4D: something worth 50000 pts (looks like egg on 1st lvl)
              	=4E: The Book of Sindarin
              	=4F: The Cross of Sindarin
              	=50: The Gauntlet of Sindarin
              	=51: The Ring of Sindarin
              	=52: fountain of magic pellets (invisible at first, move into the place you killed an enemy to activate it)
              	=??: stopped searching @ 9F
              There's a standard version of this cheat (just a few lines up, in fact), but with it the enemies will only drop coins, gems, magic pellets, chicken roasts and beers. This one will produce many more items. I only went up to 9F, so there might be more things to find.
              Last edited by BeyondTheStatic; 07-31-2011, 10:11:42 PM.

Comment

AEXPPSNT
                You don't need keys to open treasure chests.

I decided to delete the "collect the items inside of treasure chests as many times as you want" code. Seemed kind of useless since most of the items inside of chests you get to keep for the entire game (swords, helmets, magic, etc).
                Last edited by Tony H; 08-02-2011, 11:46:49 PM.

Comment

Are you sure that code does anything? I tried it several times, but there seems to be no change whatsoever Maybe you have another version of the game? I'm using the US version...
                  Ahh, I'm on the Europian version (Ironsword - Wizards & Warriors 2 (E) [!]) so it might be differences there. It's also possible that I hacked the actual rom to find the code then forgot to change it back before testing the GG code I'll try it later and see what's the score.

EDIT - Just a thought, I used the Cheat Search option to test the GG code which perhaps let it work when on the real system it wouldn't,is this ever a possibility? I've just tested the code using the game genie rom and a fresh copy of the game and its definatly working here. If you have a chance could you test it on the version mentioned above just to confirm it?
                  Last edited by RyanfaeScotland; 08-01-2011, 05:01:03 AM.

Comment

PAVOATAA
                    With most items that you pick-up (keys, gems, coins, etc), you'll get the normal item, plus as many keys as you want.

ZAVOATAA
                    With most items that you pick-up (keys, gems, coins, etc), you'll get the normal item, plus as many chickens as you want.

GAVOATAA
                    With most items that you pick-up (keys, gems, coins, etc), you'll get the normal item, plus as many coins as you want.

Will finish the rest of the list later.
                    Last edited by Tony H; 08-03-2011, 07:22:23 PM. Reason: Improved code desription.

Comment

Originally posted by RyanfaeScotland View Post
                      If you have a chance could you test it on the version mentioned above just to confirm it?
                      Yep, it works just fine with the European version. I updated the content of my first post to specify that the primary target is for the US release. Next time I'll make sure to include the version in the title. Perhaps you could edit your post to mention that your code is for the European version?

BTW, nice codes, Tony.

Comment

Thanks BTS.

I decided to delete the "collect the items inside of treasure chests as many times as you want" code. Seemed kind of useless since most of the items inside of chests you get to keep for the entire game (swords, helmets, magic, etc). The codes below are a little more useful.

PAOPGVTA
                        When you open a treasure chest, you'll get what's normally inside, and a key.

ZAOPGVTA
                        When you open a treasure chest, you'll get what's normally inside, and a chicken.

TAOPGVTA
                        When you open a treasure chest, you'll get what's normally inside, and a 1-up.

IZOPGVTE
                        When you open a chest, you'll get what's normally inside, and a large jewel.

IGOPGVTA
                        When you open a chest, you'll get what's normally inside, and a magic pellet.
                        Last edited by Tony H; 08-02-2011, 11:50:17 PM.

Comment

BeyondTheStatic, thanks for listing the values for the items. Saved me a ton of time. I tried a few random values above 9F, but didn't find anything.

TGOPGVTE
                          When you open a chest, you'll get what's normally inside, and The Book of Sindarin.

YGOPGVTE
                          When you open a chest, you'll get what's normally inside, and The Cross of Sindarin.

AIOPGVTA
                          When you open a chest, you'll get what's normally inside, and The Gauntlet of Sindarin.

PIOPGVTA
                          When you open a chest, you'll get what's normally inside, and The Ring of Sindarin.

TAVOATAA
                          With most items that you pick-up (keys, gems, coins, etc), you'll get the normal item, plus as many 1-UPs as you want.

IZVOATAE
                          With most items that you pick-up (keys, gems, coins, etc), you'll get the normal item, plus as many large gems as you want.

IGVOATAA
                          With most items that you pick-up (keys, gems, coins, etc), you'll get the normal item, plus as many magic pellets as you want. The magic pellets might rise, so you may have to jump to collect them.

Comment

Yep, it works just fine with the European version. I updated the content of my first post to specify that the primary target is for the US release. Next time I'll make sure to include the version in the title. Perhaps you could edit your post to mention that your code is for the European version?

BTW, nice codes, Tony.
                            Cheers for checking that, good to know it works and I'm doing things right From now on I'll focus on the US version of games, guess I better update my site aswell to make the distiction! Prevoius post edited to reflect this.

And nice work Tony, you've got a lot going there. I think I'll have one last stab over the weekend and see if I can get a flying code on the go.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Hedstrom View Post
                              BeyondTheStatic, thanks for listing the values for the items. Saved me a ton of time.
                              YW.

I tried a few random values above 9F, but didn't find anything.
                              There are still a few items unaccounted for, maybe they're hiding up there somewhere...

Here are some more codes (thanks to Phil The Hammer for laying the groundwork):

Code:
                              No Magic Required For Sword Shots
                              ANVVOIEY
                              SXNTEISA

Always Have The Power of Windbane
                              ALUKSGEY
                              OXVTUISX
                              LOVTKIUY
                              [B][Note #][/B]

Always Have The Power of Water Blight
                              ALUKSGEY
                              OXVTUISX
                              GOVTKIUY
                              [B][Note #][/B]

Always Have The Power of Fire Smite
                              ALUKSGEY
                              OXVTUISX
                              IOVTKIUY
                              [B][Note #][/B]

Always Have The Power of Earth Scorch
                              ALUKSGEY
                              OXVTUISX
                              TOVTKIUY
                              [B][Note #][/B]

Always Have Last Stage Shots
                              ALUKSGEY
                              OXVTUISX
                              YOVTKIUY
                              AOXVSTEI
                              [B][Note #][/B]

[B]Note #: NOTE: You can use this sword magic anywhere, as long as you have enough magic or another cheat. Bosses can only be killed with the correct element. The projectile sprites may look strange depending on which stage you are in.[/B]

Comment

Working...
                              X