PSX built-in reverb specs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSX built-in reverb specs?

Hey, this is my first post. I'm a musician, and I'm working on some music using soundfonts from PSX games. However, the mix doesn't sound *100% correct* because I don't have that sweet, sweet PSX reverb. I've found some low-level specifics (below), but I'm wondering if anyone's looked into this already?

Dealing with the hardware is a little beyond my skillset, but if someone could figure out the DSP algorithms (or find the technical documentation for them), I might be able to reconstruct it, or create a reasonable facsimile using existing AU/VST plugs. Thanks!

UPDATE: There's some solid low-level info on the SPU's reverb effect in this document. It's fairly configurable, you can specify LPF Freq, Reverb volume, Feedback, and Delay Time. The ranges for each of these values will differ depending on which preset you select -- which are:
    • Off
    • Room
    • Studio Small
    • Studio Medium
    • Studio Large
    • Hall
    • Spach Echo
    • Echo
    • Delay
    • Half-Echo
    ...However, this document doesn't go into detail about the algorithms themselves (ie: there's no information on what the ranges are for each of these configurable items on each of the presets). Any help here would still be appreciated!
    Last edited by DSSG; 02-10-2019, 04:57:38 PM.
Working...
X