A rough start hacking tomb raider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A rough start hacking tomb raider

I posted about a month ago for anyone who wanted to continue and take credit for my work in hacking psx Tomb raider games to be able to move through the walls (not as easy as you think). Since I did not get any interested takers I decided to attempt to make time to do it myself. As anyone knows, attempts to move Lara through walls by editing her position fail as she will just go into dark oblivion. I actually have gotten her to go inside the walls without this unplayable glitching.

Took me a couple of hours just to get prepped. I couldn't find a completed Tomb raider save on any of my mem cards and had to level skip my way to a complete save. I decided to use the flying code to help but crashed my game when I saw that the formula I had was for tomb raider 3 so when I calculated it off of the inf health code for TR 1.1 St. Francis Folly level, I got stuck in the air (need to keep better notes). I needed to save this info but, there are no save crystals in this part of the game so, I found the address for the big life pack on top of the tallest column and turned it into a save crystal and then painstakingly modded the position to bring it to the ground and to the right height so that I could save my progress (I am now saved with the lions dead, doors open, Larsen dead). Then I was mortified to find that my codes to go inside the walls simply didn't work. After about 40 mins I figured out that I wrote the addresses in Gameshark format and not how they appear in RAM. Finally got it to work. I can go inside of the walls now but, turning it into a usable Gameshark code and for all levels may be a monumental task. I also have not seriously hacked codes (not counting playing with geck os for the wii and cheat engine on flash games) since the early 2000s. Also, to increase the difficulty, The computer I hook up to the Gameshark needs a monitor or video card (this is a REALLY old one maybe xp or 2000) so, I am hacking Kamakaze (old school with Gameshark pro (unflashed)!!!
    Last edited by luigi; 10-23-2016, 01:00:27 PM.
    In order to view this post you must agree to the following terms and conditions... <br /> 1) I do NOT find Luigi offensive or objectionable.<br /> <br /> 2) I am viewing this post of my own free will.<br /> <br /> 3) I will NOT hold Luigi responsible for any death or accidental injury that may result from viewing this post.<br /> <br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; click one<br /> <br />&nbsp; &nbsp; I AGREE............DISAGREE

I'm not familiar with PS1 hacking but I'd imagine a collision function would be at a static address. If so the code should work during any level of the game. If the collision function moves around then you'll have to find the function that writes the collision function, copy the memory location for the function and write your code there.

Comment

That may be true that it would probably be at a static address or addresses BUT, what I have found is greater than that. The best I can describe it is that I can alter the playing field! I may be able to rebuild the levels somewhat this way. Plus I know how to change and mod the objects. I can move keys and such to make the levels have replay value.
      In order to view this post you must agree to the following terms and conditions... <br /> 1) I do NOT find Luigi offensive or objectionable.<br /> <br /> 2) I am viewing this post of my own free will.<br /> <br /> 3) I will NOT hold Luigi responsible for any death or accidental injury that may result from viewing this post.<br /> <br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; click one<br /> <br />&nbsp; &nbsp; I AGREE............DISAGREE

Comment

Maybe you could hack a code so that you are always standing on the ground. Then you can make a walk through walls code and not worry about falling through holes.

Comment

Not sure how that would work but yes, I can make a hole become solid ground.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0Ae3rqpZrU
            Anyone interested?

Comment

Working...
            X