Mario Kart 64 Results Screen Music Loop Fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mario Kart 64 Results Screen Music Loop Fix

Greetings everyone! I am very new to a lot of things. I am new to coding, though I have done basic code searching. I am even new to posting on forums, as this is my very first post here and anywhere! But I will not be discussing my background here. Otherwise, it would not belong in this forum.

Anyways, I love Mario Kart 64, as I'm sure many of you do. Not too long ago, I learned something interesting! For those of you who don't know, once you finish a race in Grand Prix, the results screen music plays. However, it is divided into two parts, with most people never having heard of the second part. Both parts are supposed to alternate, repeating once before doing so. However, due to a binary counter bug, the first part plays 64 times! That's almost 55 minutes! Despite how all I knew was looking for values in memory, I was inspired to find and create a code to fix this bug. It took a little while, but I finally succeeded, and it was worth it! Not bad for what is pretty much my very first attempt at a lot of this!

Credit goes to doc.kodewerx.org for so much insightful information on N64 coding, Viper187 for the amazing program Renegade, tcrf.net for the info about the music loop, and Cheat Engine for providing another means to view and edit the memory.

Without further ado, here is the code. Enjoy!

Results Screen Music Loop Fix
    D03B16DC 0040
    803B16DC 0002
    Last edited by minimani; 12-13-2015, 05:55:30 PM.

I gave this code a try on my console but it doesn't seem to work. Has anyone been able to get this to work properly?
    Last edited by triclon; 03-15-2019, 03:43:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by triclon View Post
      I gave this code a try on my console but it doesn't seem to work. Has anyone been able to get this to work properly?
      Huh, I know this is more than 5 years later but, on my ED64Plus the music loop fix worked as intended.
      However, the other codes that didn't work in my ED64+ were the Lagfix and the 60FPS hack.
      Most gameshark codes works well on the Everdrive and any clone that can handle gameshark, except those two codes and the green shell code as the CPU spams the track with lots of those shells and the limited memory of the N64 crashes once there are too many objects in the game.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I tried it again and it worked on console. Not sure what happened the first time I tried it. Also yes I agree my green shell code isn't really that great. For much better CPU shell usage, check out my rom hack here https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4802/

Comment

Working...
        X