Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you prefer writing cheat codes in Lua or in the traditional hexadecimal format?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you prefer writing cheat codes in Lua or in the traditional hexadecimal format?

I'm implementing a Lua interpreter for advanced cheat code execution on the PS3. I believe scripts are the direction cheat codes are heading. Modern platforms have both the memory and CPU power to run a full-fledged interpreter in the background. Using hex codes to save space and simplify the interpreter is no longer necessary.

I'd love to know what your thoughts are on writing cheats in Lua. If you've got years of experience writing codes or none at all please post your thoughts below.

Some questions to think about:
    1. WIll people be willing to learn something new?
    2. Will it be easy to port existing codes?
    3. How will these new codes integrate with this site's cheat database/framework?
    4. What are the potential security implications?

Here are some example Lua scripts:
    Code:
    memWriteFloat(0x010D7250, 50.0)
    Code:
    ptr = memReadInt(0x00B32268)
    if ptr > 0 then
      print("pointer found: ", ptr)
      memWriteUShort(ptr + 0xAFC, 0xFFFF)
    end
    Code:
    pad = padRead(0)
    if (pad & PAD_R3) ~= 0 then
      print("R3 pressed!")
      memWriteFloat(0x010D4430, 1.0)
    end

​​​​​​​To clarify, earlier platforms like the PS2 would not receive Lua support.
    Hex
    33.33%
    Lua
    66.67%
    A scripting language other than Lua
    0%
    None of the above
    0%

It should be easy enough for me to learn. As long as there are constant write, conditionals, OR/AND writes, read and copy bytes, search and replace, pointer codes, and those special choices/lists you made for artemis, it should be fine however they work.
    July 7, 2019

https://www.4shared.com/s/fLf6qQ66Zee
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/jvsdbd

Comment

Ive never touched Lua but I'd imagine it would be easier than writing it in hex, that and more self explanatory; I'm interested.

Comment

I'd still prefer the good old hex variant. But having a scripting alternative other than Lua would be cool too. What irritates me about Lua and Python is the usage of text indents instead of curly braces and semicolons.
        Maybe a C-Like scripting language would be neat. Or a new one optimized for cheats
        My Website
        Hacking YouTube Channel

No requests, please

Comment

Working...
        X