Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New NES Game Genie concept

http://gamehacking.org/vb/forum/vide...me-genie-codes

In the above thread, the idea was mentioned of creating a new game genie that might handle more codes to be used on original hardware. I have had this idea many times, and I wonder if we have the brain power in this forum to make it happen. I would like to use this thread to discuss the concept and feasibility of such a project. I want the motivation to be "for the good of the people" rather than financial gain. That discussion can be had if we ever make it to that bridge amongst those that contributed.

Brainstorms to consider:
    1. Is this worth the effort?
    2. Has this idea been visited before? How did it turn out?
    3. Obviously the simple concept is a piece of hardware between the console and a cartridge that reads the address lines coming from the console, grabs the value at that address from the cartridge, does some logic to determine replacement and sends it back to the console.
      1. What hardware could be used to perform this that is fast enough?
    4. How do we provide an interface? Is this something that is pre-programmed, or do we do some NES assembly?

Is there a better platform for this discussion than a forum thread?
    Who wants to be involved?

Aaaaaaaand, go.
    Please put all complaints in writing and submit them here.

Above link not working? Try here.

Hell yea it's worth the effort, I would love to join and help in anyway I can but my Achilles Heel in this is my lack of programming knowledge. I can take a prototyping board like a CPLD development board and turn that into a final product but the actual programming of that is not my forte. I think a CPLD is more than enough for this project and since flash memory is cheap nowadays to store codes and hell even the game rom itself if need be this could become a reality.

We need people who can reverse engineer or re-implement what the GG did but with modern parts, as I mentioned the CPLDs are cheap and are usually $5 or less and flash can be cheap too around the same price.
    Spoiler Alert! Click to view...

THE BAD GUY!!!!!!

Comment

I think it's worth the effort as well. I was always disappointed by the short line limit of the NES Game-Genie, as well as how huge and bulky it was.
      There have been countless times where I thought I broke the pins in my NES because the damn Game-Genie was so freaking awkwardly shaped and big, so putting it in and taking it out was a huge pain.

Not sure if there are NES Flash Carts that allow the use of Game-Genie or Pro Action Replay cheats, but if there are, then I'd start there as a first step.
      I don't really know what kind of hardware would be needed for this to work, but it really needs to be something smaller and easier to insert and remove from the NES without causing damage.
      Maybe it should load codes from an SD card or something? I like the idea of being able to download the cheat files from the site and use them on a real console on a real game. Maybe even have a button combination or an ON and OFF switch on the side to turn on cheats or turn off cheats on the fly.
      Unfortunately, I wouldn't be of any use in building the device or programming it, but I guess I could beta test it and donate money for the parts and research.

What would the name of the device be, by the way?

The bottom line for me is this:

1: It needs to be user friendly, where people know how to use it without being confused and know how to use cheats and know where to find them.
      2: The device needs to be small and built well enough to be put in and taken out of the NES without fear of causing damage to the console and game.
      3: It's gotta work well and be built like it is going to to be used everyday, (none of that Nintendo 64 Gameshark crap.)
      4: The device and cheat menu should look as clean as possible, nothing too fancy and nothing too clunky and messy.

I can't really think of anything else to add or say, so I guess I'll leave it at that. But yes, I think this is a wonderful idea and totally think it is worth the effort.
      I'm retired from code hacking.
      I do not take requests!

Comment

Thank you for sharing this good post, I am very impressed with your post, the information given is detailed and easy to understand. I will follow your next post often. time calculator

Comment

What a fantastic blog! I absolutely enjoyed reading this essay, among us regardless of how I stumbled upon it.

Comment

Working...
          X