Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Peeper

The Peeper v1.2

This is a tool for anyone interested in searching their roms (single file or directory of files) for specific terms that may lead to finding unused or hidden content in games. It will analyze each rom and report its findings in an organized tree view with counts, address the term was found at, and a snippet of the text (600 characters) it is contained in to provide relevance. You can edit "Terms.txt" to add new words if needed (accessible in the menu or manually), or adjust how the files are searched (Normal, Byte Swapped, Zero Byte Delimited, or all three). Terms will automatically be added as lower, upper, and title case without having to specify additional entries within "Terms.txt". When previewing the snippet, the application will automatically highlight the term for easy reading.

Please report any problems you experience in this thread, and I'll do my best to correct them. Suggestions are welcome. Enjoy.

Features:
    • Supports any rom type.
    • Supports standard text formats (will support more in the future).
    • Single File or Directory processing.
    • Editable terms list.
    • Automatic character case generation of each term provided increases the chances you will find a match.
    • Normal, Byte Swapped, and Zero Byte Delimited search options (Options menu).
    • Organized tree view to display results with counts and address found at listing.
    • Snippet of rom search area the term was found in for relevance.
    • Snippet term highlighting for easy readability.
    • Text copy option on selected node.

Requires:
    • .Net Framework 4.5
    • Roms
    Attached Files
    Not taking any requests at this time.

Bored? Watch some of my hacks here.

Updated to version 1.1.

Changes:
    • Implemented processing speed optimizations that should be significantly faster than version 1.0.
    • Added "Stop" option to halt the processing of a file or directory of files.
    • Added tool-tips for a more user friendly experience.
    • Added "Open File" and "Open Directory" options to the file menu in addition to the ones present on the form.
    • Added the ability to open files in excess of 1 GB, though the application will only process up to 1 GB of the file (I may make a x64 version with an increased file size limit if needed.)
    • Miscellaneous fixes throughout.

I will be looking into processing non standard texts types such as Shift JIS in a future release.

Comment

Nice... ya should post this at ROMHacking if you haven't done so already.
      Now broadcasting from the underground command post. Deep in the bowels of a hidden bunker. Somewhere under the brick & steel of a nondescript building. We've once again made contact w/ our leader, OSG

Comment

Originally posted by OldSchoolGamer View Post
        Nice... ya should post this at ROMHacking if you haven't done so already.
        I took a look over there earlier, and it seems they deal more with level editors, password generators, and rom modifications (into a custom game) rather than finding hidden or unused content already present within the rom. I did post this at TCRF though as I feel it will be better suited for what those guys are about.

Comment

Updated to version 1.2.

Changes:
          • Added "Zero Byte Delimited" search type.
          • Corrected issue with permission access on files selected within the root path of a drive on 64 bit machines.
          • Optimized memory performance when processing many large files in a row.
          • Miscellaneous fixes throughout.

Comment

I was going to suggest the zero-byte delimited thing, awesome.

Now all you have to do is add a hex-view like hxd, and integrate editing and saving.
            Please put all complaints in writing and submit them here.

Above link not working? Try here.

Comment

Originally posted by rimsky82 View Post
              I was going to suggest the zero-byte delimited thing, awesome.

Now all you have to do is add a hex-view like hxd, and integrate editing and saving.
              Hopefully after I figure out this Shift JIS encoding problem (when I get a bit more free time), I'll have a look at adding some of those features.

Comment

Awesome; a much needed app.
                I may be lazy, but I can...zzzZZZzzzZZZzzzZZZ...

Comment

Have a request if/whenever you get a chance to implement it.
                  It would be nice for the browse for folder button to have an option to include sub-folders.

And here is a small bug report, if you use the Open Dir button to select a folder with no files in it; this error dialog will show:

Also, if none of the terms were found in a file inside of the folder, when you try to browse for another folder other adjacent folders are no longer shown.
                  http://OldGameHacking.com/
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/DreamcastVideos

Comment

Originally posted by Mezmorize View Post
                    Have a request if/whenever you get a chance to implement it.
                    It would be nice for the browse for folder button to have an option to include sub-folders.

And here is a small bug report, if you use the Open Dir button to select a folder with no files in it; this error dialog will show:

Also, if none of the terms were found in a file inside of the folder, when you try to browse for another folder other adjacent folders are no longer shown.
                    Thanks for the report. I've corrected the two bugs you've listed, and am looking into implementing reading within sub directories of a selected folder for the next build (in addition to other things). Let me know if you run into any other issues, or have any additional ideas to add to the next build (I've been working with Shift-JIS, but am still in the process of making it a viable search option).

Comment

Oh I'm going to use this a lot.

One question, it only finds words if they are stored in plain text, right? If they are compressed, it won't find anything, correct?

I was looking for something to replace a tool called SearchR3 which let's me search for words even if they are compressed, even though it doesn't work all the time if the ROM has a more complicated compression.

Comment

nevermind
                        Last edited by Sly Hedgehog; 04-10-2014, 09:58:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ReyVGM View Post
                          Oh I'm going to use this a lot.

One question, it only finds words if they are stored in plain text, right? If they are compressed, it won't find anything, correct?

I was looking for something to replace a tool called SearchR3 which let's me search for words even if they are compressed, even though it doesn't work all the time if the ROM has a more complicated compression.
                          Currently it does not support any types of compression, though I can only think of a handful of games that are compressed. Possibly in the future I will add some common compression decompression for games that may support it.

Comment

Working...
                          X