Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Chrome's "AdBlock" or "AdBlock Plus (Beta)"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Chrome's "AdBlock" or "AdBlock Plus (Beta)"?

For Google Chrome, do you guys recommend "AdBlock" or "AdBlock Plus (Beta)"? About 6.5 users have downloaded "AdBlock". And 3.5 users have downloaded "AdBlock Plus (Beta)". I'm hesitant to go with the Plus version because it says it's a Beta version. Any opinions/suggestions on the matter?
    Now broadcasting from the underground command post. Deep in the bowels of a hidden bunker. Somewhere under the brick & steel of a nondescript building. We've once again made contact w/ our leader, OSG

I have AdBlock Plus (Beta) enabled and it works fine on my side.
    I only bother with things that interest me.

Comment

Also, what exactly does enabling the "Fanboy's List" filter do? I know it blocks additional ads and tracking cookies... but I don't understand why those additional website ads/cookies aren't just included in AdBlock by default?

And I'm curious of what kind of website examples the Fanboy's List block that is not blocked by default in AdBlock?

Do you recommend to enable Fanboy's List filter? How about any other filter lists?
      Last edited by OldSchoolGamer; 06-14-2012, 09:43:14 PM.
      Now broadcasting from the underground command post. Deep in the bowels of a hidden bunker. Somewhere under the brick & steel of a nondescript building. We've once again made contact w/ our leader, OSG

Comment

i use the regular Adblock. it works fine

Comment

Originally posted by OldSchoolGamer View Post
          Also, what exactly does enabling the "Fanboy's List" filter do? I know it blocks additional ads and tracking cookies... but I don't understand why those additional website ads/cookies aren't just included in AdBlock by default?

And I'm curious of what kind of website examples the Fanboy's List block that is not blocked by default in AdBlock?

Do you recommend to enable Fanboy's List filter? How about any other filter lists?
          I believe Fanboy's List blocks every ad that EasyList blocks + pr0n site ads. There's no need to enable Fanboy's List unless you're visiting pr0n sites, lol.

This is useful: https://adblockplus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5485

Also, here's an image of my settings (should be the default):
          Spoiler Alert! Click to view...

Comment

How come you don't have both "Easy List" and "Fanboy's List" enabled? I read those are the two best filters. I think you are able to have both enabled. If that's true, I'm just curious as to why you don't have both enabled?
            Last edited by OldSchoolGamer; 06-15-2012, 02:02:56 AM.

Comment

I spent hours researching which is better, AdBlock or AdBlock Plus (Beta) for Google Chrome. Most of the 'AdBlock vs AdBlock Plus' review articles written weren't actually reviews as they were advertisements for AdBlock Plus. Alot of the articles were supposed to discuss the differences between the two, but instead, the articles were just advertisements for AdBlock Plus, which is very unfair towards AdBlock and a pathetic excuse of an article. Anyways, most users' reviews had mixed reviews. Most tended to go with AdBlock Plus... but most of those reviews were old from 2007. Both programs have changed and improved dramatically since then. They both use to hide ads, not block them because at the time Google Chrome did not possess the ability to block ads like Firefox does. Fortunately, in 2012 Google Chrome was updated with the ability to let ad blockers actually block ads instead of just hiding them. So now, both AdBlock and AdBlock Plus (Beta) block ads instead of just hiding them. ABP used to be faster than AB. But improvements to AB has made it catch up to ABP. Now, both are basically equally as fast in loading webpages, etc. Currently, AB has a nicer GUI and more customizable settings than ABP due to ABP still being in Beta stages. The conclusion is they are basically equally as good. I am going to choose to use AB because it is more stable since ABP is still in a Beta stage. Once ABP releases a stable release (gets out of the Beta stage), then I will probably switch to ABP.
              Last edited by OldSchoolGamer; 06-15-2012, 04:39:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OldSchoolGamer View Post
                How come you don't have both "Easy List" and "Fanboy's List" enabled? I read those are the two best filters. I think you are able to have both enabled. If that's true, I'm just curious as to why you don't have both enabled?
                I don't visit pr0n sites so I only need EasyList. Also, the top reads: "Enable only the filter lists you need. Too many can make Chrome unresponsive."

By the way, I used to have AdBlock before I formatted my PC and it worked fine as well. So at the end of the day I guess it doesn't really matter which one you use because they both do the same thing. It would be best to go with AdBlock since AdBlock Plus is still in its Beta stages, but so far I haven't encountered any bugs that would cause Chrome to crash/malfunction while using AdBlock Plus so I kept it.

Comment

On Friday, when everyone was getting ready for the weekend, Adblock Plus quietly announced that its Chrome extension is officially out of beta, meaning that “its functionality and stability are comparable to Adblock Plus for Firefox” (although the group admitted that “the user interface is still lacking”).

http://thenextweb.com/google/2012/10/28/adblock-plus-for-chrome-now-unblocks-certain-ads-by-default-heres-how-to-block-them-again/

Comment

Working...
                  X