MAME Crosshairs Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAME Crosshairs Question

I can't get the custom crosshairs to work. I've downloaded the custom crosshairs from MAMEWorld/Mr. Do's Arcade Artwork. I unzipped the files and put them into a folder labeled "crosshair" where my MAME executable is located. I checked and made sure the mame.ini file's "core search path options" searches for the folder "crosshair". In the mame.ini file, it reads "crosshairpath . . . . . . crosshair"

My question is do I have to rename the custom crosshair files to match the particular game I want to use it?

For example, if I want to use a custom crosshair for the game "Jurrasic Park", do I have to rename the crosshair file to "jpark" so that it matches the game's set? Do I have to add the extension ".png"?

For example, one of the custom crosshair files that I downloaded is named "aburner-blu". So how do I get to use that crosshair file for a game like Jurrasic Park? Do I have to rename the file "aburner-blu" to "jpark"?

Also, how do I actually change/switch a game's crosshair? Do I change the crosshair by pressing "Tab" while in gameplay and look for an option to change it in there? Or do I change the crosshair by pressing "F2" and change it in the service options? I pressed "F2" while playing "Jurrasic Park" and I went into the service menu and I could not find where it gives an option to change the crosshairs. I also pressed "Tab" and tried to find an option that lets me change the crosshairs but I could not find it there neither. So where do I exactly go to change/switch the crosshairs?

(The mame.dev docs/config.txt website says that the default folder for custom crosshairs is titled "crsshair". But my mame.ini file searches for the folder "crosshair" and not "crsshair". So I know that is not the problem in regards to it searching for the mispelled folder name.)
    Last edited by OldSchoolGamer; 08-25-2011, 07:57:01 AM.
    Now broadcasting from the underground command post. Deep in the bowels of a hidden bunker. Somewhere under the brick & steel of a nondescript building. We've once again made contact w/ our leader, OSG

You won't find them in the test menu because the actual games don't have crosshairs. I mean, lightgun games in which the controller was an actual lightgun do not have crosshairs. The crosshair is added by MAME so you can see where you are shooting at when using a controller or keyboard. If you use the mouse, you shouldn't need crosshairs.

I know you can disable or enable the default MAME crosshair by pressing F1 or F5 or something. I have it disabled so I don't really remember how to turn it back on.

As for the custom crosshairs... if the actual crosshair files have the names of the games, then yes, of course they have to match the romset if you want them to be recognized. But why would you want to change aburner's name to jpark? aburner is After Burner, not Jurassic Park.

But check first if MAMEUI accepts custom crosshairs because I know MAME PLUS (which is unofficial) has many more options that MAME and MAMEUI don't accept. That could be one of them.
    Last edited by ReyVGM; 08-28-2011, 10:26:57 PM.

Comment

If you use the mouse, you shouldn't need crosshairs.
      How would I beable to know where I'm shooting, when using my mouse, if crosshairs are disabled?

But why would you want to change aburner's name to jpark? aburner is After Burner, not Jurassic Park.
      I wouldn't. I just used those two games as an example.

But check first if MAMEUI accepts custom crosshairs because I know MAME PLUS (which is unofficial) has many more options that MAME and MAMEUI don't accept. That could be one of them.
      MAMEUI does accept custom crosshairs. Check this link out regarding custom crosshairs:
      http://www.mameworld.info/mrdo/mame_artwork_supp.html

As for the custom crosshairs... if the actual crosshair files have the names of the games, then yes, of course they have to match the romset if you want them to be recognized.
      I tried renaming it to match the set but that didn't work. MAME still uses the default crosshairs. I downloaded the custom crosshairs at the link I posted above. What is weird is those crosshairs I downloaded were all titles that have a "-blu" or "-grn" or "-red" at the end of the title. A full example is "aburner-blu". The last three letters represent the color of the crosshairs. So I'm not sure if I have to include the "-blu" at the end of the title after I rename it to match my game set. I'm also not sure if I have to include the extension ".png" at the end of the name. Because after reading this, it confused me:
      Files named "cross1.png, cross2.png, cross3.png, cross4.png" in the main crosshair directory will be the default for player 1-4. You can also use the in-game menu to change the crosshair; this setting is saved in the game's individual CFG file.
      You can also create a sub-folder within your \crsshair directory to create a unique default crosshair for an individual game. Some examples are included in the below file.
      Last edited by OldSchoolGamer; 08-28-2011, 10:59:58 PM.
      Now broadcasting from the underground command post. Deep in the bowels of a hidden bunker. Somewhere under the brick & steel of a nondescript building. We've once again made contact w/ our leader, OSG

Comment

Originally posted by OldSchoolGamer View Post
        How would I beable to know where I'm shooting, when using my mouse, if crosshairs are disabled?
        Well.... I don't remember, to tell you the truth. I remember disabling the crosshairs, but maybe I disabled them to be able to take screenshots.

Comment

(The mame.dev docs/config.txt website says that the default folder for custom crosshairs is titled "crsshair". But my mame.ini file searches for the folder "crosshair" and not "crsshair". So I know that is not the problem in regards to it searching for the mispelled folder name.)
          Normal MAME is DOS based, so names are kept under 8 characters. If you are using MAMEUI, then the folder can be called Crosshair. You can always change the default folder in MAME. Just make sure you configure it and it shouldn't matter what the name is.

Comment

Normal MAME is DOS based, so names are kept under 8 characters. If you are using MAMEUI, then the folder can be called Crosshair. You can always change the default folder in MAME. Just make sure you configure it and it shouldn't matter what the name is.
            yep I know this. I'm going to try again to see if I can get it to work correctly.

Comment

Working...
            X