No announcement yet.

GameHacking.org Weekly Hacking Target!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GameHacking.org Weekly Hacking Target!

This morning, I was thinking about the days when myself, LiquidManZero, KingEdgar0, Ace, and a bunch of other people were all hacking the same game, at the same time - Final Fantasy VII.

Now, putting aside the awesome hacking potential of FF7 (it's still being hacked today, and there are quite a few things that still need to be hacked for it), I was pondering how it felt to hack something immediately relevant to other hackers, who were simultaneously hacking things immediately relevant to me. It's a lot of fun. We've done it with other games; FF7 is just the perfect example because of the sheer number of people hacking it.

People frequently bring up the lack of hacking projects, hacking teams, and hacking collaboration, in the scene today. They're correct, but it's difficult to organize hackers, especially when there's no clear goal: "Hack a bunch of codes for this system, as long as we all stay interested, somehow" doesn't really feel right.

Thus, I have an idea.

Let's pick a game, each week, to concentrate hacking efforts on. We can still hack whatever we're currently hacking, but if time and interest permits, we can take a few minutes to tear into the same game, and see what we can come up with. This will not only be interesting, but it will be a way to force concerted effort onto games that haven't been sufficiently hacked yet (and also, to hack more for games that have already been hacked way too much, heh).

Sound interesting?
    I may be lazy, but I can...zzzZZZzzzZZZzzzZZZ...

Count me in. I've been meaning to learn to hack other systems.
    Please put all complaints in writing and submit them here.

Above link not working? Try here.

Comment

Cool. This would make me interested enough to come out of accidental retirement and hack some more codes, as well.

Heh, by the way, nice avatar.

Comment

What Systems U Will Require ? Sry I Know Its a Dump Question

デューク オーディン

Comment

Originally posted by Lazy Bastard View Post
          Heh, by the way, nice avatar.
          Thanks, I ripped the image from an online t-shirt store, bustedtees.com - in case you want it on a t-shirt.
          Please put all complaints in writing and submit them here.

Above link not working? Try here.

Comment

Sounds like fun, maybe have people vote on a system to hack for the month and then a game to vote for that system or people can suggest a game.
            Spoiler Alert! Click to view...

THE BAD GUY!!!!!!

Comment

Does it include hacking a PC game?
              Keep Smile + Let's be together !! + Magical Glasses + Cowabunga + Superhero + Maximum Carnage

Comment

I'm sure it could, but it will have to be a somewhat accessible game where we can all obtain it.
                Last edited by Helder; 04-21-2011, 11:14:58 PM.

THE BAD GUY!!!!!!

Comment

Sure; it can be any game we want.

I was thinking about doing voting, but I don't want to make the process too formal. Perhaps we'll just go by suggestion.

Also, the basic idea will be, even if the game has already been hacked like mad, the goal is to hack any new codes possible. This means no code is too small or trivial.

All right, so...first suggestion?

Comment

I'd suggesting picking a game that's on the impossible codes list on the wiki.

Comment

Good idea.

I'd suggest The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, but putting aside the hassle of explaining to everyone how to convert codes between versions (and determining what version they have in the first place) so we aren't all madly confused, it's also an effing nightmare to look through BSFree to figure out what's been hacked. We really need to get around to migrating that to the GameHacking.org DB, and properly organizing it.

Comment

I'd assume most hackers here hack 16 bit or less regularly, with the exception of a few that branch out. I would think a tiered system from 64 bit down with one or two games selected for each would be the best method per week (or two weeks). Similar to the below with set goals in parenthesis:

N64:
                        • Super Mario 64 (Control Mario during cut-scenes)
                        • Doom 64 (Enemy Modifier, Menu Modifier)

PSX:
                        • Twisted Metal 2 (Moon Jump, Drive up any surface including scaling buildings, Menu Modifier)
                        • Decent (No Clipping, Menu Modifier)

SNES:
                        • Mortal Kombat 2 (Move Modifier, Enable Kintaro's Kick, Allow Fatalities to be performed during match, Menu Modifier)
                        • Super Metroid (Enemy Modifier)

Genesis:
                        • Sonic 2 (Enemy Modifier, Sonic Image Modifier, Menu Modifier)
                        • Primal Rage (Menu Modifier, CPU control Modifier)

NES:
                        • Super Mario Bros 3 (Menu Modifier, Enemy Modifier)
                        • Metroid (Menu Modifier, Enemy Modifier)

SMS:
                        • Double Dragon (Enemy Modifier, Menu Modifier)
                        • Bram Stoker's Dracula (Enemy Modifier, Menu Modifier)

ETC...:
                        • ETC...
                        • ETC...
                        Last edited by Abystus; 04-22-2011, 06:18:49 PM.
                        Not taking any requests at this time.

Bored? Watch some of my hacks here.

Comment

We can, of course, make suggestions and mention previously requested codes, but I still want the general goal to be to hack whatever codes are possible.

Also, I think we should concentrate all effort on one single game per week. If no one has or wants to hack a particular game, they only have to wait one week, and suggest another.

Faxanadu for the NES might be interesting, though I can't think of anything off the top of my head to hack for it...but then, that's part of the challenge

Comment

This isn't a bad idea, might get me in the mood to hack again....

Comment

I'll hack that game, my friend used to own it in the good old days it was definitely a fun game.

THE BAD GUY!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X