T-Mobile promises to end the "complete bullshit" from TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-Mobile promises to end the "complete bullshit" from TV

T-Mobile CEO John Legere announced today that the mobile phone operator intends to acquire TV service Layer3 TV and next year offer a TV service that lets you watch "what you want, when you want, where you want" without the "complete bullshit"—contracts, forced bundles, and promotional pricing that expires after a year—that typifies the services coming from traditional cable TV providers.

Layer3 TV brands itself as "The New Cable." It currently operates in only a handful of markets, offering access to a wide range of HD and 4K channels (more than 275 in total), streamed using the highly efficient H.265 (also known as HEVC) video codec and a custom set-top box. It's a pure IP service—there's no tuner in the box, and it will connect over Wi-Fi—and to support it, Layer3 has built out a fiber distribution network and data center in Denver that handles transcoding shows into HEVC.

It also has partnerships with Internet providers to provide the last mile connectivity. This private backbone network should mean that Layer3 doesn't suffer the kinds of issues that Netflix dealt with a few years ago when its links bought from Cogent became congested.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/...anies-in-2018/
    The Hackmaster

H.265? I kind of stopped paying attention to codecs and all, last I remember was H.264 and going from the security system I had at a work place using it, it still looked like very ugly blocky crap. I kind of just dislike all codecs and wish we could stop compressing things because they all seem to cause visual problems like obnoxious looking blocky edges to everything. If I watch Rick And Morty the normal way on whatever service, it looks fine and perfect. If I watch it streamed from some unauthorized youtube channel, it's varying degrees of blockiness around edges everywhere and can get hideous with motion.

Whatever they are doing, anything's better than cable as it is. It should have moved on to "I watch what I want when I want." a long time ago, that Netflix style should have made everything else extinct by now. Just get every show on Earth on 1 device already as impossible as it sounds.

I'm rolling my eyes at this Direct TV commercial that constantly pops up on Crunchy Roll that basically says people who aren't getting it are idiots who like smashing their heads against wooden boards.
    July 7, 2019

https://www.4shared.com/s/fLf6qQ66Zee
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/jvsdbd

Comment

Originally posted by bungholio View Post
      H.265? I kind of stopped paying attention to codecs and all, last I remember was H.264 and going from the security system I had at a work place using it, it still looked like very ugly blocky crap. I kind of just dislike all codecs and wish we could stop compressing things because they all seem to cause visual problems like obnoxious looking blocky edges to everything. If I watch Rick And Morty the normal way on whatever service, it looks fine and perfect. If I watch it streamed from some unauthorized youtube channel, it's varying degrees of blockiness around edges everywhere and can get hideous with motion. canlı tv izle

Whatever they are doing, anything's better than cable as it is. It should have moved on to "I watch what I want when I want." a long time ago, that Netflix style should have made everything else extinct by now. Just get every show on Earth on 1 device already as impossible as it sounds.

I'm rolling my eyes at this Direct TV commercial that constantly pops up on Crunchy Roll that basically says people who aren't getting it are idiots who like smashing their heads against wooden boards.
      Thank you so much.
      Last edited by chadirnje23; 04-18-2022, 08:31:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X