Teen dies from eating her own hair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teen dies from eating her own hair

A 16 year old student in the U.K. died suddenly while away at college due to an infection caused by a hairball in her stomach. Jasmine Beever, of Skegness, was taken to the hospital via ambulance on September 7, where staff attempted life-saving resuscitation, LicolnshireLive.com reported.

An autopsy later revealed that Beever had suffering from peritonitis, which occurs when the thin membrane that covers the abdominal wall is inflamed, which is typically due to a fungal or bacterial infection. Beever’s case was caused by the infected hairball in her stomach, and eventually led to a burst ulcer that caused her organs to shut down.

Patients who swallow their own hair are often diagnosed with Rapunzel syndrome, which is caused by a psychiatric disorder called trichophagia, according to the U.S. National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2017/0...-own-hair.html
    The Hackmaster

That's a pretty strange mental illness to have (also I'm surprised it's called 'Rapunzel Syndrome' - that sounds like something out of The Onion), but I'm more surprised that human stomach acid doesn't just make short work of hair. I thought human stomach acid was a cut above Draino. Maybe she also had a disorder that reduced the volume or effectiveness of her stomach acid?
    I may be lazy, but I can...zzzZZZzzzZZZzzzZZZ...

Comment

If her organs were shutting down, that might have something to do with it.
      The Hackmaster

Comment

Working...
      X