Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pizza Hut told Irma-fleeing employees they could be punished for skipping shifts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pizza Hut told Irma-fleeing employees they could be punished for skipping shifts

Click image for larger version

Name:	DJZsIqTXgAABwHa.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	194260 A photo began circulating on Twitter of a memo posted for employees in one Jacksonville Pizza Hut location, with an explicit list of instructions for employees.
    Pizza Hut wants its minimum wage employees to risk their lives for corporate profits. (@KatiSipp) pic.twitter.com/r8rwb3O7I6

— Jacobin (@jacobinmag) September 11, 2017

FUCK PIZZA HUT

So Pizza Hut, do you fucking think that an entire state was hit with a hurricane that was over 400 miles across, and had a eye that was over 100 miles big, and that just maybe some of your employees will be out of gas, water, and food, or have family members that are sick, but your owner of this Pizza Hut thinks that profit is more important,...this is why I do not go into Pizza Hut.

So Pizza Hut said that it was not and is not a policy...then why did this happen...in the first place?

And who is going to go and buy a pizza in the middle of a hurricane, anyway?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ipping-shifts/
    Last edited by dlevere; 09-12-2017, 03:45:39 AM.
    The Hackmaster

Well, this is fucking heartless.

That said, it does read like a typical, micro-managing head of a local store putting his own rules in place because of what he perceives as his own issues with staff. I'm skeptical that the corporate offices would have given anything but general guidance, if anything at all. Although, I'm assuming, "RGM," is, "restaurant general manager," so it may have come from someone higher up in the region. They really should have photographed the second page.

As to who gets pizza in the middle of a hurricane, I had a bunch of friends check-in from pizza places and restaurants that opened as the last of the storm passed over. Any place that has power and isn't your house is like a haven in the aftermath of these things. Nobody expects Pizza Hut to deliver during the worst of it, but if the restaurant is safe, has power, and can serve customers, people will be grateful for it whether they're making money or giving away "free" pizzas for donations to the Red Cross.

Comment

I was worried about you, Pyriel. I know you live in Florida, but when I saw you here on the forums, I knew that you were alright. I've been through 2 floods, and it's not anything that I would wish to happen to anyone.
      The Hackmaster

Comment

I appreciate that. It's unnecessary, though. I moved back to Indiana almost ten years ago now. Among other things, the year 3 year hurricanes and a tropical storm rolled over my town sort of soured me on the place.

Comment

I just had to laugh, though, at how they kept calling Irma "the worst hurricane to ever hit Florida". It was a classic example of media sensationalism and buffoonery. Both Katrina and Superstorm Sandy were at least an order of magnitude more devastating.
          Tempus fugit, ergo, carpe diem.

Time flies, therefore, seize the day.

Comment

Hurricane Sandy never hit Florida, and Katrina passed over it while shifting from tropical storm to Category 1 before it picked up steam in the Gulf. I don't know what your orders of magnitude for devastating mean in the real world, but I don't think your theory checks out.

Andrew or Charley may still be the winner for Florida depending on what you measure. For whatever reason, Irma seemed to diminish quickly whenever it got near land, so Florida sort of dodged a bullet in that it swung wide a bit and dropped by whole categories in relatively little time.

Comment

Yeah, true. Florida's been rather fortunate in terms of hurricanes. One of the worst in recent years is Ivan (which hit near Pensacola in 2004).
              Tempus fugit, ergo, carpe diem.

Time flies, therefore, seize the day.

Comment

Working...
              X