Man Almost Dies After Eating Ghost Peppers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man Almost Dies After Eating Ghost Peppers

It may have been surpassed as the hottest chili in the world, but the notorious ghost pepper showed it still packs a powerful punch after forcing a man to undergo emergency surgery to repair an inch wide hole in his esophagus.

The 47 year old American was taking part in an eating contest at a restaurant in the San Francisco area, where he consumed the ghost pepper, or bhut jolokia, as a puree on a burger. While he completed the challenge, he immediately felt intense burning in his mouth. After six glasses of water failed to quell the effects, he started vomiting so violently that it tore the hole in the canal connecting the throat to the stomach.

When his condition failed to improve upon initial treatment at the emergency department at the University of California at San Francisco, the patient was rushed into surgery where it was also discovered that his left lung had collapsed. Fortunate merely to survive, the man was forced to spend 23 days in the hospital before being released with a gastric tube in place.

Read more here: http://www.ibtimes.com/can-chili-pep...pepper-2433243

Hosts: Kim Horcher, Francis Maxwell, Alonzo Bodden

Last edited by dlevere; 10-24-2016, 05:53:22 AM.
    The Hackmaster

I don't understand these American eating contests.

Comment

After six glasses of water failed to quell the effects, he started vomiting so violently that it tore the hole in the canal connecting the throat to the stomach.
      I wonder how often this sort of thing even happens. I don't know why people eat those peppers, they are terrible. I've never seen anybody take a bite and say "That's delicious and I'm glad I ate that.". All it is as "food" is a terrible dare that people take.
      July 7, 2019

https://www.4shared.com/s/fLf6qQ66Zee
      https://www.sendspace.com/file/jvsdbd

Comment

Not trying to be a 'tough guy' but I enjoy eating spicy food/peppers. It's not that they taste good. It's the experience that's fun. Like skydiving, whatever. It's just fun for the rush. I've eaten these on a burger a couple of times.

Comment

It gives you an endorphin rush, like BASE jumping or whatever your preferred, risky sport is. Past a certain Scoville value, nobody is eating them to add flavor or a kick to their food. It's about the challenge and the rush. I suppose if you'd rather feel scorched for several minutes as opposed to actually risking life and limb for a hit of neurochemicals, the trade-off is worth it.

Comment

People get a rush from eating them???? I have never seen anyone eat one of them and not regret it, people usually only eat them to amuse others. Just this thread's title even says what I only ever see when there's ghost peppers mentioned, either somebody died or they almost died, or they are this guy and coughed so hard they blew a hole in their throat and nearly died.
            July 7, 2019

Comment

Well, there's also an upper Scoville limit to the rush that's different for everybody. When you see people choking and crying and the like, it's not the so-called pros. There are actually people who travel around eating this kind of crap at chili cook-offs and other events, but videos of them being (mostly) sensible and pushing up their tolerance over time don't generally make for good viewing on youtube.

People are different too. I don't get much of a rush from eating anything beyond my comfort-zone, so I don't usually do it. Evidently some people get more out of it than I do, though.

Years ago, I ate an entire Habanero on a bet (which is maybe a couple hundred thousand Scoville, or like 20%-30% of a ghost pepper) during a break at work. It wasn't bad at the time, but a minute or two later I developed hiccups. The shop I was working in didn't have a water fountain or a cooler, and nobody had brought a lunch because we were planning to hit a restaurant that day. Not having some sort of water fountain is probably an OSHA violation, but I thought I solved the problem when I realized the eye-wash station had to be at least non-grey water. Turns out that thing didn't even work, which was definitely an OSHA violation since we spent all day mixing chemicals. I wasn't about to drink out of anything in a port-a-potty. So I just wandered around hiccuping for about an hour and a half until it wore off. That ninety minutes felt like it lasted about a year. Now, any time someone suggests eating really hot shit just for laughs, I remember that misery, and don't want to mess with it.

Comment

I'll be damned if I will ever eat a Ghost Pepper. I would be having one of those "O God" shits. "OH God, if you get me out of this, I'll never eat a Ghost pepper again." I would have to be tricked into eating something like this.

India has also found another use for the pepper. In 2009, it was used as an ingredient in grenades. When deployed, the chili grenade explodes with dust so potent that it leaves subjects struggling to breathe and blinded for several hours.

“The chili grenade is a non-toxic weapon and when used would force a terrorist to come out of his hideout” R.B. Srivastava, a lead scientist from India’s Defense Research and Development Organization, said at the time. "The effect is so pungent that it would literally choke them."
                The Hackmaster

Comment

It's interesting they thought of using it with a grenade, seems more useful that way because it sure isn't a pleasure to eat.
                  July 7, 2019

Comment

I am going to grow some Ghost Peppers in my backyard this year. I had a Squirrel come in my yard last year and he ate up all of my Okra.

I'm going to fix his little squirrel ass this year, let him bite into one of those ghost peppers and he'll never come into my garden again.

The Hackmaster

Comment

Can't say I wanna eat a ghost pepper. I do like foods somewhat spicy tho. I eat regular buffalo wings and stuff and put crushed red peppers on my pizza.

Comment

PAYING PEOPLE $5.00 TO EAT GHOST PEPPER!

PAYING PEOPLE $5.00 TO EAT GHOST PEPPER!
                        Last edited by dlevere; 06-08-2017, 09:17:02 AM.
                        The Hackmaster

Comment

So let us know if you catch a squirell eating your ghostpeppers.

Comment

I will.
                            The Hackmaster

Comment

'Pepper X' At Over 3 Million Scoville Is The New World's Hottest Pepper
                              The Hackmaster

Comment

Working...
                              X