Clear All

• Man arrested for telling Blizzard he will pay them a visit

U.S. Attorneys » Eastern District of California » News
    Department of Justice
    U.S. Attorney’s Office
    Eastern District of California

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Thursday, July 21, 2016

Sacramento Man Indicted for Transmitting Online Threats to Blizzard Entertainment, a Video-Game Company

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — A federal grand jury returned an indictment today against Stephen Cebula, 28, of Sacramento, charging him with making threats to injure employees of the video game company Blizzard Entertainment Inc., Acting United States Attorney Phillip A. Talbert announced.

According to court documents, between July 2, 2016, and July 3, 2016, Cebula transmitted messages over the Internet to Blizzard Entertainment, in which he stated that he “may or may not pay [Blizzard] a visit with an AK47 among some other ‘fun’ tools,” and “might be inclined to ‘cause a disturbance’ at [Blizzard’s] headquarters in California with an AK47 and a few other ‘opportunistic tools.’” Cebula was arrested on July 12, 2016, and is in custody. He is scheduled to be arraigned July 26, 2016.

This case is the product of an investigation by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Assistant United States Attorneys Heiko P. Coppola and Owen Roth are prosecuting the case.

If convicted, Cebula faces a maximum statutory penalty of five years in prison and a $250,000 fine. Any sentence, however, would be determined at the discretion of the court after consideration of any applicable statutory factors and the Federal Sentencing Guidelines, which take into account a number of variables. The charges are only allegations; the defendant is presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

USAO - California, Eastern
    Updated July 21, 2016

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/man-a...n-ak47/0170118
    The Hackmaster

I don't think I've ever heard of "I'll pay a visit with my AK-47" and interpreted that as a good thing instead of a "I might die" threat. That's just a frightening thing to say to people no matter how empty the threat. What was the guy even angry about?
    July 7, 2019

https://www.4shared.com/s/fLf6qQ66Zee
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/jvsdbd

Comment

I'll see what I can find out.
      The Hackmaster

Comment

It’s currently unknown why Cebula made these threats.

After an investigation by the FBI, he now faces 5 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

It’s unfortunately not the first time a game company has to deal with death threats. Most recently, studio Hello Games was threatened following the delay of No Man’s Sky.
        The Hackmaster

Comment

Seems like there's a lot of threats over time when I think about it. I remember there was a writer for one of the Dragon Age games receiving threats of people coming to her house and killing her and her family from at least a year ago. The only thing I've ever played of Blizzard's was Diablo 3, and the thing that angers me about that game was how much time it takes to play and upgrade to the point where I just quit instead. Other people really need to learn how to be quitters, it's not always a bad thing. It's like online deathmatch games, I suck terribly and quit long ago instead of learning how to break into systems and threaten the lives of others because they are better at it than me.

There was a bunch of gamersgate or whatever drama for a while too, but I think that was about sexists in the gaming industry harassing the females, I don't remember, I've forgotten all of this stuff. I still can't believe somebody's thinking "I'm going to email Blizzard threats about visiting them with my AK-47 because I'm angry about something" and getting away with it, at the very least get a fake email account somewhere. The anonymity of the internet makes an idiot out of many people thinking everything they do is invisible and untraceable to all.

When I play games, I like to complete them 100%, and couldn't care less about worthless trophies. There is no such thing as 100% in Diablo 3 and many games are becoming like that. I hated their thing of constantly fighting enemies to incredibly slowly level up and get random items hoping you get that one in a million genuine chunk of gold item. You could pick up 1000 legendary items and they can all be the same worthless pieces of garbage, and Mr "I just started playing this game for the first time in my entire life last week" and get things 100x better than yours when he's played less than 60 hours and you've hit over 1000 hours. I feel robbed of life playing that equivalent of a slot machine. I even had fun messing with it on the PS3 and like many they did the "We'll mostly make the game work on the PS3 but screw all of the DLC and that stuff, we're not updating it or anything, we just want your money" thing. Black Ops 3 didn't bother with Nightmares, and there's many more that decided to not put the whole game on previous consoles when they could, and I have no idea why that is beyond I know they'd be getting robbed of DLC for PS3 games, but this stuff isn't DLC so I'd say either make it complete or don't make it at all.

I'm missing the PS2 and earlier generations, feels like everything these days is the gaming equivalent of cocaine where they want you to play and buy their crap constantly but you can never finish it because there's no end. Everybody's just doing the same annoying in game currency and level systems every single game. I stopped playing Fallout 4, too much to even do, too big, and too much stuff in it, and it takes over a day at this point to even level up once. I'm hating these games that are made to be long. I know people hate short games, but that doesn't mean make it so long that you'll never finish. All you can be with these is a quitter, either waste your entire life leveling up or quit.
          Last edited by bungholio; 07-23-2016, 11:33:22 AM.
          July 7, 2019

https://www.4shared.com/s/fLf6qQ66Zee
          https://www.sendspace.com/file/jvsdbd

Comment

Working...
          X