Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

square-enix hints at future video game hardware?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• square-enix hints at future video game hardware?

http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q3-2006/080806a.html

and owning the RPG relm wasn't enough...now they are hinting for a video game system...what will they think of next...

That sounds pretty interesting...
    I may be lazy, but I can...zzzZZZzzzZZZzzzZZZ...

Comment

That's very interesting... Reminds me of an April Fool's joke Working Designs did about Taito making a console. (I'd link it, but the internet archive is being ridiculously slow right now...)

Hmm... Maybe this'll also mean more Lufia games...

Comment

This would never work. Games would come out every year, with a launch of 2.

Comment

I really don't see a need for another console. I'm not sure what Square wants to do with the console that we can't get on another system. It seems to be just a move for them to get more money.

Comment

With what's going to be around next year, they're insane to make their own console, but maybe not insane to make some other hardware. Designing and producing hardware is rather expensive, and I don't think they could take ridiculous losses like Microsoft and Sony are aparently doing.

Comment

Unless of course they release a bunch of really good RPGs, only for their new console...and sell the console at a decent price, with about the abilities of an N64...

Comment

I'd bump it up to the turbo power of the dreamcast. Many companies already have shown that the DC was a lovely platform, with good speed and good parts, and was very well crafted. And from the RPG's they had, it showed it could do that.

But even if they sold for $100, they still would have to take in the price of all the hardware and such, and Square just isn't a large-enough company to lose hundreds of millions on a console right now.

Comment

Heh, yeah...

Comment

Dreamcast was a nice system, but it had a rather nasty hardware engineering flaw... The connection pins to the power supply were made of aluminum, so eventually after expanding and shrinking repeatedly, it'd cause the console to have weird self resetting issues.

It'd probably be fairly cheap for them to have something similar to a dreamcast, if they didn't use some screwball proprietary disc format.

Comment

Single Layer DVD's could probably do what they would be aiming at.

Comment

Definitely.

Comment

Working...
                        X