Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTA V modders banned by Rockstar

By james_fudge

According to Ars Technica, modders working on an online Grand Theft Auto V mod called FiveM claim that their Rockstar Social Club accounts were blocked last week. They contend that Rockstar banned them because they are involved with the mod. Rockstar isn't saying why they banned the players as of this writing. The bans not only make it so they can't play GTA V - they are barred from playing any other Rockstar games associated with their accounts.

FiveM is a mod that allows Grand Theft Auto V PC players to play together on dedicated servers. Normally if you want to play GTA V in multiplayer mode, you have to do it on Rockstar's servers.

According to Ars Technica's report, users NTAuthority and TheDeadlyDutch reportedly received ban notices on their Rockstar Social Club accounts at around the same time last week.

"I believe these bans may be in relation to my existence [sic] on the FiveM project," TheDeadlyDutchi wrote on the Rockstar Support forum over the weekend. "I have not done any reverse engineering or other work on FiveM that may go against the TOS. I hope to resolve this soon."

It remains unclear exactly why Rockstar banned the developers of the mod, but the company has been quick to take aim at fan creations that have anything even remotely to do with multiplayer.

We will have more on this story as it develops.

Ars Technica has more on this story here.
    The Hackmaster

Is it just a game mod, or is it “facilitating piracy”?
    The Hackmaster

Comment

It probably does facilitate piracy and they should know that. I don't see why they needed their own servers to play the game anyway. It'll probably become overrun with cheaters.

Comment

I'm not really grasping the piracy part of this. Is this because people could possibly pirate something for GTA5 and then use it on their own servers without being seen by Rockstar??? The consoles might have DLC, don't know about PC. Maybe people can use private servers to play pirated versions of the game??

They will definitely be used for cheating, but if it's pc they should be able to mod games however they want I'd assume, so I don't know why they would need private unseen servers. I could see that making sense for something like the PS3 where sometimes you get that clan of people that just want to have fun modding their game and playing together rather than being stuck with the vanilla game.

Does Rockstar have oversight to approve and ban any mod as they see fit? That's the only legitimate reason I could see for anybody wanting a private server is if they want to have fun their way without approval by Rockstar.

I'm completely out of the pc scene, just PS3 so this stuff goes right past me without a clue.
        Last edited by bungholio; 08-14-2015, 02:17:29 PM.
        July 7, 2019

https://www.4shared.com/s/fLf6qQ66Zee
        https://www.sendspace.com/file/jvsdbd

Comment

Working...
        X