No announcement yet.

GameHacking.org Weekly Hacking Target!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GameHacking.org Weekly Hacking Target!

After the topic came up in IRC, and we finished reminiscing about the fun we had last time around, I thought it might be interesting to bring back a once-popular activity - the Weekly Hacking Target.

Per my original post in the original thread:

Originally posted by Lazy Bastard
    This morning, I was thinking about the days when myself, LiquidManZero, KingEdgar0, Ace, and a bunch of other people were all hacking the same game, at the same time - Final Fantasy VII.

Now, putting aside the awesome hacking potential of FF7 (it's still being hacked today, and there are quite a few things that still need to be hacked for it), I was pondering how it felt to hack something immediately relevant to other hackers, who were simultaneously hacking things immediately relevant to me. It's a lot of fun. We've done it with other games; FF7 is just the perfect example because of the sheer number of people hacking it.

People frequently bring up the lack of hacking projects, hacking teams, and hacking collaboration, in the scene today. They're correct, but it's difficult to organize hackers, especially when there's no clear goal: "Hack a bunch of codes for this system, as long as we all stay interested, somehow" doesn't really feel right.

Thus, I have an idea.

Let's pick a game, each week, to concentrate hacking efforts on. We can still hack whatever we're currently hacking, but if time and interest permits, we can take a few minutes to tear into the same game, and see what we can come up with. This will not only be interesting, but it will be a way to force concerted effort onto games that haven't been sufficiently hacked yet (and also, to hack more for games that have already been hacked way too much, heh).
    Anyone that's interested can chime in with a game to focus on. Once we get a list, I'll make this thread a poll, include popular suggestions, we'll vote, and the game with the most votes becomes the first weekly hacking target.
    BS Zelda no Densetsu (SNES)
    55.56%
    Darkman (NES)
    11.11%
    Starflight (Genesis)
    22.22%
    SimCity 2000 (SNES)
    11.11%

The poll is expired.

I may be lazy, but I can...zzzZZZzzzZZZzzzZZZ...

I'm not finished with THE SYPHON FILTER PROJECT yet. I still have to find the debug codes for Syphon Filter 2 and 3. (PSX)

Szalay and I had fun hacking those games at the same time.
    The Hackmaster

Comment

Wow, 2004. Was that your first post here?

Comment

Yes, it was. It's time to get the old GameSharks cracking!
        The Hackmaster

Comment

OK, so Syphon Filter 2 and Syphon Filter 3 are on the ballot.

Comment

I think some ps2 titles deserve a second look since anyone with a decent pc, PCSX2 and cheat engine can make codes that would have required tedious memory dumps to a memory card in the past. The Jak series deserves a 2nd look, as do others.

Comment

Originally posted by root670 View Post
              I think some ps2 titles deserve a second look since anyone with a decent pc, PCSX2 and cheat engine can make codes that would have required tedious memory dumps to a memory card in the past. The Jak series deserves a 2nd look, as do others.
              Did they put a debugger in PCSX2 yet? I still want to see someone hack the goddamn super rare monsters in FF12 so they appear all the time (level 99 Red Chocobo, for example).

Comment

There is a debugger now, but I think it's still a work in progress. It allows for breakpoints and displaying of all the register values, so that's probably all you need.

Comment

So, pick a PS2 game and recommend it as a target

Comment

I vote GBA - Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. I feel like this game, amongst others, deserves some advanced codes made for it.
                    I only bother with things that interest me.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazy Bastard View Post
                      So, pick a PS2 game and recommend it as a target
                      OK, my vote: Final Fantasy XII. Mainly for the super rare enemy encounter code and a potential more fun ones.

Comment

I vote something older, Warriors of Rome 2 for the Genesis. It's a strategy game that apparently no one has managed to hack anything truly useful yet.

Comment

I recommend Persona especially 3 and 4... lots of stuffs to dig around for
                          and hi LB, LMZ and the rest o/

Comment

How about debug menus?

Tales of Symphonia? It has lots of removed content, an alternate costume for Kratos and the Rename Gem that was removed from Western versions as well as various cut items.
                            Trails in the Sky? Removed content from Western versions, mainly items.
                            Ni no Kuni DS? Debug mode, TGS demo mode, remants of a digital book.. A map select code would be extremely useful too :/
                            Terranigma/Tenchi Suzo: a proper way to display the debug NPC dialogue?
                            Mother 3: the elusive debug menu for overworld and battle engines.
                            Summon Night Hajimari no Ishi: Debug menu with possibly a map select, would be really useful for the fan-translation

There's text for debug modes in Nanashi no Game, Retro Game Challenge 2, Dragon Quest DS remakes, Solatorobo (a map select for that one and its predecessor would be lovely, too), Tingle DS 2 (first one was already found)...

Oh, and any of the Tengai Makyou games, the II DS and IV PSP in particular - just from a quick look in the script dump they seem like a goldmine.

Oh, and to avoid reinventing the wheel, before making item/encounter codes, take care to google codes for the game in Japanese beforehand - they are really good when it comes to SNES games in particular (I found out, only too late after a lengthy relative search session -but I did manage an original party character code :P -, an extensive and excellent cheat list for Tengai Makyou Zero)
                            Last edited by GHANMI; 10-14-2014, 07:42:29 AM.

Comment

[Long post full of Digimon-related stories and example codes shortened by Lazy Bastard - make long-winded code requests elsewhere]

collectordude2 votes for Digimon World 1 on the PS1.

Comment

Working...
                              X