Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default GameHacking.org Weekly Hacking Target (04-24-11- 05-01-11) - Faxanadu [NES]

This week's hacking target will be Faxanadu, for the NES.

The rules are simple: hack whatever you like, as long as it hasn't been hacked, and post in this thread with any codes/progress/questions/requests (yes, requests are welcome). To verify what's already been hacked, take a look at these four pages (yeah, we're still working on migrating BSFree into our main DB):

http://gamehacking.org/?s=v2&sys=5&gid=4429
    http://gamehacking.org/?s=v2&sys=5&gid=15

If you don't have the game, or don't want to hack it, wait until next week, and if you like, suggest the next game in the main "GameHacking.org Weekly Hacking Target" thread.

Though the week technically starts tomorrow morning, feel free to get a head start

Happy hacking!
    I may be lazy, but I can...zzzZZZzzzZZZzzzZZZ...

In the spirit of starting things off, I've hacked a mostly useless code:

Elevation mod - 00A1 ??

90 - Normal elevation
    80 - A couple feet of the ground
    60 - Several feet off the ground

Note: This code will cause your character to float at the elevation you specify. However, there is a fairly large downside: if your character isn't moving when you enable the code, he won't be able to until you disable it. If your character is moving when you enable the code, he will continue to float in that direction until you disable the code.

Damn this game has just about all good codes done for it, well I will have a look at it myself and edit this post when I have something.
    Spoiler Alert! Click to view...

THE BAD GUY!!!!!!

Code:
    Spider Man Mode(Press up to climb anywhere. Lets you enter doors.)
    AUKTOEAO
    GZKINZEL
    Last edited by nolberto82; 04-24-2011 at 12:21:19 AM.

Faxanadu (PRG1)

EESTTKAA
    Super high jump. Best to use this on an emulator and only turn it on when you need to use it. If it's on all the time, you'll probably get stuck somewhere. Very useful where there are high ladders, etc.

LEOAVAAA
    Makes most weapons MUCH stronger. You can easily kill the first boss with one hit. Not sure if it works with other weapons yet (will update when I find out). UPDATE: It also works on the Long Sword.

I made a walk thru walls code, but it's pretty much useless (you can get stuck too easily). I may try improving it later. AONTLPEY = WTW (walking right only).

EDIT: I wonder if there's much of a difference between the 2 versions (PRG0 & PRG1)?
    Last edited by Tony Hedstrom; 04-24-2011 at 11:23:30 AM. Reason: Updated LEOAVAAA code description

Wow, awesome work. I didn't expect any good codes to be hacked so quickly. I especially like the SpiderMan Mode. I didn't think about that.

A room mod would be cool, but I think I remember it being a bastard to hack last time I tried. Maybe I'll try my hand at it again. Who knows, there could be some unfinished rooms, or even a debug room...

Quote Originally Posted by nolberto82 View Post
    Code:
    Spider Man Mode(Press up to climb anywhere. Lets you enter doors.)
    AUKTOEAO
    GZKINZEL
    I thought of this, but couldn't figure out how to pinpoint the right routine. Can I ask how you found this address?

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Bastard View Post
    A room mod would be cool, but I think I remember it being a bastard to hack last time I tried. Maybe I'll try my hand at it again. Who knows, there could be some unfinished rooms, or even a debug room...
    Hunting for easter eggs today are we?

nolberto82 always comes up with some really good code ideas.

Update on one of my codes above. The code appears to work on most (all?) weapons. The small dagger normally does 5 damage, but with the code, it does 169 damage. The other weapons should have similar increases.

LEOAVAAA
    Makes most weapons MUCH stronger.

Here's a jump modifier that actually edits the jump stepper. original value is 08, and a value of 70 gets you almost to the top of the screen. I've found 30 to be a good height. Each address needs the same value, so you are still on the ground after you jump.

The hard-coded Y-pos(difference) stepper starts at $E4D6 and ends at $E4F5, ($3E4D6 and $3E4F5 in the rom) and these codes edit these two addresses. You could edit the whole stepper to make the jump smoother, but you'd need another 20 codes.

Values at 30, around double height-
    AUSTTKAA
    AUNTIKAA

Values at 60, really high jump
    AVSTTKAA
    AVNTIKAA

Like the other code a couple of posts up, a really high jump in the wrong place will get you stuck. If you find yourself stuck below ground, and you're using an emulator, you can change $00A1 to 0x00, and you'll drop from the sky.

Hunting for easter eggs today are we?
    Heh, nice.

Cool @ more powerful attacks and a properly-hacked moonjumps

Thread Information