• CheatDevicePS2

Here's a project I've been working on for the last few months:
    Cheat Device for PS2
    Click image for larger version

Name:	cheatdevice2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	197080

Cheat Device is a game enhancer for PlayStation 2 games, similar to Action Replay, GameShark, and CodeBreaker. It supports booting retail, disc based games as well as ELF files such as OpenPS2Loader or ESR.

Features
    • Easy to navigate menu system similar to CodeBreaker
    • Supports retail discs and loader ELFs
    • Fast loading of large cheat lists
    • Save manager for backing up and restoring game saves to/from a flash drive
    • Powered by ps2rd's powerful cheat engine
    Important Things
    Storing Cheats
    Each game in the cheat database contains a cheat list, where each cheat contains a list of code lines to be processed by the engine during gameplay. Cheat databases can be stored in two formats:
    1. CDB (recommended) - A CDB file can be loaded very quickly and compressed to a small size.
    2. TXT - A TXT file can be edited in a text editor and doesn't need to be converted. This works well for small lists but can take a while to load if it becomes too large.
    You can use cdb-util to convert to/from CDB and TXT formats. The location of the cheat file needs to be set in CheatDevicePS2.ini.

TXT Cheat Database Format
    Code:
    "Game Name"
    Enable
    90000000 88888888

Cheat 1
    27654321 12345678

Cheat 2
    12345678 98765432

Cheat Section
    Cheat 3
    11111111 00000000

Cheat 4
    20000004 00000001
    20000008 00000001

// Comment line
    • A game is declared as the game's title enclosed by quotation marks followed by one or more cheats.
    • A cheat begins with a line of text followed by code lines formatted as 8 hexidecimal characters for the address, a space character, and 8 hexidecimal characters for the value.
    • When two or more cheat titles are placed on adjacent lines without code lines between them, all cheat titles before the last one will be treated as cheat sections to organize a cheat list or keep notes to be displayed.
    • A comment begins with double slashes.
    Enable Codes
    9-type enable codes (9xxxxxxx yyyyyyyy) are supported and will be automatically enabled if present in a game's cheat list. If an F-type enable code is used instead (which is common for older games), it will be silently ignored and a hook will be installed automatically by the code engine. Many games have been tested with the auto-hook function, but its best if a 9-type enable code is used.

Some games use an enable code with additional code lines, such as Jak and Daxter. These types of enable codes can be manually enabled from the cheat menu but aren't automatically enabled since they have a tendency of overwriting parts of the code engine. Metal Gear Solid 2 does this, for example.

Code Format
    All cheats must be in "RAW" format; Cheat Device can't decrypt or read any other formats (ARMAX, CB1-6, CB7+, AR2, GS, etc.). However, you can use
    tools such as OmniConvert to convert any of these formats to RAW.

Settings File
    Settings are stored in an ini file named CheatDevicePS2.ini in the directory Cheat Device is run from. [CheatDevicePS2]

• database = Path to .CDB or .TXT cheat database
    • boot[0-4] = Paths to boot from when cheats are enabled in addition to the disk-boot option
    Default Values

If the settings file can't be loaded, these default values will be used instead:
    • database = CheatDatabase.cdb
    • boot0 = mc0:/BOOT/BOOT.ELF
    • boot1 = mc1:/BOOT/BOOT.ELF
    • boot2 = mass:/BOOT/BOOT.ELF
    • boot3 = rom0:OSDSYS
    • boot4 = FASTBOOT

Included is the CodeBreaker 10.0 database. Please report any bugs to me if you find them.

Downloads
    Current Stable Release - v1.2.1 (September 8, 2015): https://github.com/root670/CheatDevi...PS2-v1.2.1.zip
    Current Testing Release - v1.2.-110 (January 14, 2018): https://wescastro.com/CheatDevicePS2…0-gcbb20ec.zip
    Cheat Device PS2 Source: https://github.com/root670/CheatDevicePS2

cdb-util v1.2.1 (December 16, 2016): https://github.com/root670/cdb-util/releases/tag/1.2.1
    cdb-util Source: https://github.com/root670/cdb-util
    cdb-util Web Version (convert text cheats to CDB online): http://wescastro.com/cdbutil

All releases can be found here: https://github.com/root670/CheatDevicePS2/releases

Here's a demo of it in action
    Attached Files
    Last edited by root670; 01-14-2018, 04:29:45 PM.

Awesome, can't wait to try this!

Comment

Curious as to how to boot this on a retail system? do you need to have some hack hacks installed or a modchip? Really nice by the way! Also can you edit existing cheat entries so that when you have new codes you can add them to the existing list.
      Spoiler Alert! Click to view...

THE BAD GUY!!!!!!

Comment

You'll need a softmod or modchip to boot this on a retail system. As of now you have to create a new CDB database to edit or add codes, but I plan to add console-side editing in the future.

Comment

Updated the link to makecdb in the OP. Now it supports creating CDB databases from multiple txt cheat lists by merging them together as well as sorting the game list in the final CDB.

Comment

thanks mate.......your hard work is great really appreciate....

Comment

Thanks for adding support for ps2esdl.

Also, would it be possible to add back support for plain text files?

Overall this has got to be the best cheating app for PS2.
              Last edited by 47iscool; 04-09-2015, 07:07:25 PM.

Comment

is there any way to save last time selected cheats i have to select them again and again.........

Comment

Originally posted by 47iscool View Post
                  Thanks for adding support for ps2esdl.

Also, would it be possible to add back support for plain text files?

Overall this has got to be the best cheating app for PS2.
                  Glad you like it. Loading cheats from plain text files will be added in a later release, I just have to create a parser. I opted to not use libcheats (which is used by ps2rd) to do this because I found it to be very slow.

Originally posted by mrcool View Post
                  is there any way to save last time selected cheats i have to select them again and again.........
                  Not yet, but I will definitely consider adding this to my todo list for new features
                  Last edited by root670; 04-12-2015, 04:07:05 PM.

Comment

Hello. With this you no longer need a codebreaker elf if you use freemcboot, correct?

Comment

Pretty good job there. But there are still some things I'd like to see added, if possible

- Editing/Create codes inside of the program
                      - Saving selected codes for the next time you start the program, as mrcool already mentioned
                      - Export codes (or whole database) to text file
                      - Import codes from text file
                      - Pointer support (6-type codes) (tested this type with Metal Gear Solid 3 and it seems there is no support for it)

Optional stuff
                      - A tool for decrypting the .CDB file to text file
                      - Savegame support (im-/export .psu files for example)

Comment

Originally posted by LegendaryHawk View Post
                        Pretty good job there. But there are still some things I'd like to see added, if possible

- Editing/Create codes inside of the program
                        - Saving selected codes for the next time you start the program, as mrcool already mentioned
                        - Export codes (or whole database) to text file
                        - Import codes from text file
                        - Pointer support (6-type codes) (tested this type with Metal Gear Solid 3 and it seems there is no support for it)

Optional stuff
                        - A tool for decrypting the .CDB file to text file
                        - Savegame support (im-/export .psu files for example)
                        PS2-side cheat editing, loading of plain text code files, and saving a list of previously enabled codes will definitely be added in the future. Exporting codes would be a useful feature to add to makecdb, but I don't think it needs to be on the PS2 side as well.

6-type codes are supported by the code engine, but multi-level pointers are not. Can you post the exact code you're trying to use? Does this code work in CodeBreaker?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

Metal Gear Solid 3 might have been a bad example after all, haha. Anyway, since you said that pointers are supported, I checked again.

These are the codes I used for MGS 3: Subsistence (G)
                          Code:
                          Mastercode
                          90193958 0C064DFE

Infinite Energy
                          601D6818 00000000
                          00000342 000003E7

Infinite Stamina
                          601D6818 00000000
                          00000525 00007530
                          A side note, these codes work on an Emulator just fine, but not on console. The codes won't let me allow to start the game with the Codebreaker. All I get is a black screen and that's it.
                          When I use the same codes with CheatDevice, I can play the game just fine, but the codes don't have any effect.
                          Could be, that I need to joker the codes and check again, but hell... I'm actually too lazy to find jokers for it :P

Then, I picked Resident Evil 4 (PAL) to see, if it works this time with following cheat:
                          Code:
                          Mastercode
                          902A4288 0C0A904A

Invincible (Main Character)
                          60420630 00009D00
                          00010001 00000438
                          In this game, it's no problem at all and everything works as intended. I checked various modes to make sure that it works.

I guess I should have played various games to verify things, so I'm sorry for assuming it's not supported when it apparently is.

Comment

because

MGS3 pointer codes layout are incorrect for codebreaker/ps2rd

RE4 pointer codes layout is correct for codebreaker/ps2rd

Example:

Code:
                            incorrect pointer layout

Infinite Energy
                            601D6818 00000000
                            00000342 000003E7
                            Code:
                            correct pointer layout

Infinite Energy
                            601D6818 000003E7
                            00010001 00000342
                            Last edited by lee4; 04-14-2015, 03:12:38 PM.
                            lee4 Does Not Accept Codes Requests !
                            When lee4 asks a question it does not mean lee4 will look at your game
                            *How to create and use SegaCD codes >click here<*
                            >)

Comment

Oh well, yeah... I guess I should look up more info before I add something to my codelist
                              But thanks for the info lee. After looking at the wiki, I do understand what I did wrong and that won't happen anymore

Comment

Working...
                              X